Blue Orp over Delaware would produce what?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kathyinmo, Jul 17, 2010.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Asking for a friend ....
    I can not figure out how to use the chicken calculator. Can you tell me what the chick would look like from a Blue Orp rooster over a Delaware hen?

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Hi Kathy,
    The calculator says you'd get 50% blue, 50% black.

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    So the Orp roo genes would be so dominant there is NO chance you would get a chick looking like a Delaware?

Kathy, how thoughtful of you to ask for a friend! I am sure they appreciate it![​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wonder where the dark brown comes in, then. My Riley (Barred Rock x blue Ameraucana) and my Del roo produced a chocolate colored chick, that now looks like this:

[​IMG]

Supposedly, the Delawares carry this color, the brown. I think the calculator will give you what you are most likely to get, but won't always tell you everything that is possible. So, if the brown showed itself in the mix with the blue Orp, what then?

5. kathyinmo

Quote:That's what I was wondering too. I hatched those RhoDels (rosecomb RIR X Del) and they came out looking like Delawares, and I didn't know until they had the rosecomb.

Kathy, how thoughtful of you to ask for a friend! I am sure they appreciate it!

I am always up late, and I thought I might catch David online, but after I posted it I saw he had just logged out.​

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Kathy was asking for me- I have a Delaware roo, a Blue Orp roo and all Delaware hens. I put eggs under a broody and have hatched one yellow chick, one definitely blue chick, one I am pretty sure is black and one that is either black or very dark blue with a yellow/white spot on it's head.

Are we positive the yellow chick would be a pure Delaware -I do really need to know.

And where did the little spot come from?

7. kathyinmo

If all the eggs hatched came from Delaware hens ...... well, hmmmm, would the yellow chick be a guaranteed pure Delaware? Since the only roosters are a Delaware and an Orp, I would think so .... but heck, I know very little chicken genetics!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd say yes, the yellow one is pure Del. Keep track of that one with the head spot. Remember, once Meg produced a chick with Suede that was completely barred like a black sexlink rooster. That was all Suede's doing, of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by