1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Orpington: A roo from the start?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gardenalex, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Gardenalex

Gardenalex Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    Hello,

I am asking this for a friend of mine, because he is no member of this forum and he is not able to write in English.

So, what happened: he got a pair of blue Orpingtons some time ago and the hen wanted to have some babies; she was so stubborn that he let her do whatever she wants, even this late in year.
    But the problem came around the 16-17 day, and suddently she left her eggs. Weird hen, first she wanted babies and then she left them. [​IMG]
    So I drove to him with my incubator and we placed her eggs.

Today he phoned me, telling me that two babies made it (3 are in the run), but he is a little concerned about how the black/blue one (he is not sure at the moment) look like, because it came out of the egg with a reddish looking comb around five hours ago.

The other one (the splash one) did not have a comb.
    So, is it possible that the blue Orpingtons, the male ones, did already hatch with a comb? Or can this happen with females either, having combs from the start of their lives?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    No, it is not possible for chicks to hatch with a mature comb of a cockerel. It's possible it could have been a blood-spot or something from the egg. Cockerels will produce a larger and redder comb at about 3-10 weeks, depending on the breed.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicks are born with combs and spur buds, but they are small and undeveloped.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I agree. Combs of a pullet and cockerel look the same when they hatch.

5. Gardenalex

Sep 24, 2015
    Thank you, whatever it is he is concerned about, I will take a look at Saturday and make some pics for you. Could not believe it either.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on both of the above posts.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agreed also

9. Gardenalex

Sep 24, 2015
    I am so sorry that i bothered you. Even with no experiance with Orpingtons, i could see yesterday that there was some blood from the hatching. What i could see were some spoots, an uneven area, where the comb will be, some day. ;-)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by