1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Orpington Cockerel-The Boy Weighs a TON

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Jun 10, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Blue Orpington boy, Suede, is 18 weeks old now and I knew he was huge, in fact, seems almost as large as my year and a half old Barred Rock head roo, but today, I weighed the boy and got a shocker. This guy, with his girls, Velvet and Skye, are my breeding trio. Velvet is his age, but Skye is just going on 8 weeks old now, both blues. That boy weighs 8 pounds! EIGHT! I was in awe. Good thing the Blue Orps will be separated soon-he's way too big for any hens except the Orps and maybe the Brahma girls. The Blue Orps are supposedly not at their full mature size till almost 18 MONTHS old. OMG, how big will he be then? Anyone up for hatching eggs from these after I assure fertility? He's still in the "grab em and they scream and he lets them go stage", LOL.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  2. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    wow!!!! He;s huge

3. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    huge and fantastic looking too! Love the colours! Ive never seen a blue orpington before ( what a surprise when ive only been a chicken keeper for 5 weeks heheheh) but he is just awesome!

4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I love his coloring! What a gorgeous guy!

5. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    speckledhen, Suede is gorrrrgeous! Don't have an incubator and hadn't even thought about getting one, but the thought of have "little Suedelets" running around my yard makes my eyes light up! Might have to get started now and do some trial hatches, hmmm...... [​IMG]

6. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Speckled Hen,

He IS a beauty! I'm with Blossom Hen, I'd love to have a few eggs when the time comes. If they are even half as pretty I'll be happy!

-Meghan

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Wish you where on my side of the border!!!! My blue orps where stolen several months ago. I would be begging for hatching eggs.

Unfortunately I am in Canada. [​IMG]

Will be starting on blues from scratch next year.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

kstaven, that's terrible! I can imagine that they would be something someone would want to steal, though. I think they are just beautiful myself, but I had the hardest time hatching pullets! I have a Splash cockerel that is almost eight weeks old I need to sell and Suede also had a Splash and a Black brother. I only got one pullet from his hatch, which is my blue girl, Velvet, and from this last bunch, which is now about 8 weeks old, I got one pullet, a blue one. Not many sell Blue Orps or their hatching eggs, either. Velvet should start laying in the next couple of weeks, then I will be separating the Blue Orps into their own coop and pen. I'll have the trio so it will take a bit to collect enough eggs to sell-may have to do it a half dozen at a time, LOL. That is the point, however, to do that, so keep me in mind for later. When you breed two blues, you get blues, blacks and splashes. Here is a picture of Velvet, then a Suede's splash brother, now owned by my friend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Cynthia....WOW!! He is a BIGGUN! LOL And so beautifull! [​IMG] Thanks for shareing that pic!

10. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    I took a picture of Blue Boy yesterday, THat is Suedes Dad. He is a year old this month. He is huge. I would post the picture here but does me no good as it is not automatically resized and only parts show. On the other board I don't have to do that. My pc is to old and can't get a new for a few more months now. I might post it on the other board later tonite when I get back from VBS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by