Blue Orpington Girls..plus the Brahmas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Dec 7, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Julie (BamaChicken), if you recall, Velvet is from your lines, but Skye came from the guy in W.Va. What do you, and anyone else who would like to say, think of Skye as compared to Velvet? I know you said that Velvet was typey, and Skye is now 8 months old, so I feel she's filled out sufficiently to evaluate her better now. IMO, her cushion isn't as good as Velvet's, but she could fill out more as she matures. Also, here is my Buff Brahma, Caroline, the mother of Suede babies all over the country, and sweet Miranda, who also lives in Suede's little harem. Skye is in the front of the first three pictures, with Velvet in the back, in the last pic Skye's doing a weird neck stretch thing, LOL:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's Velvet, dumb camera flashed and washed out her coloring. GOTTA get a new camera!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I can't really tell any difference in the pics Cyn. All your birds are very pretty.

3. speckledhen

Thank you, Julie. If you ever see any faults I need to work on with the Blue Orp crew, please feel free to let me know. Even Suede isn't perfect in a couple of areas, although, he's certainly a darn good example of the variety, IMO, but I realize that it's not just the sire but the dam as well who decides the quality of the line. So, I want to know who my best girls are as I acquire/hatch more of the Blue Orps for my flock.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Very pretty girls [​IMG]

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    One of these days, I'm gonna order some Suede & Caroline hatching eggs from you! [​IMG] Do you get fertile eggs from Miranda also?

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Velvet would be a tad better in the Orp world, her comb is more correct than Skye. Skye's comb is bigger and more "fleshy" than Velvet. However, Skye got more "girlie" look on her face. Both of them have a block confirmation and well rounded behinds LOL! As for their eye color, it may be the camera but each one of them have a different shade of brown eyes, one dark and one lighter. BOTH of them may pass on the higher possibility of laced blues in their chicks with the right "click" from the roo. I am certain you will get some of those in their offsprings. Black blue or slate legs is all there .

Neverthanless, they are both good breeding stock to begin with and I would not change anything about them.
    You got good quality stock so dont worry about anything else yet unless you get a "throwback".

Just so lovely!Thanks for sharing!

7. speckledhen

Robin, thank you for weighing in on the girls for me! They both have dark brown eyes, but perhaps Velvet's are almost black whereas you can see more brown in Skye's. Suede himself is the one with eye color that would be considered on the light side, but I figure the girls' influence will bring the chicks' back where it should be. You're right, Skye does look more girlie!
    Chickngurl, Miranda's eggs are fertile, but she has something wrong with her genetically, we've determined, that prevents her chicks from developing. I myself have incubated several batches of her eggs and they never develop. I see the bullseye on the eggs very plainly, but it's a shame that I'll never have a chick from Miranda, unless something lets loose in her body and allows the genetic material to form a chick. Caroline's babies are popping out everywhere, though!

8. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Have you tried her with one of your other roosters? Maybe her DNA and Suede's just doesn't click right?

9. speckledhen

I have put her in with Hawkeye before, but she wants to be with Suede. I tried to put both Brahmas in with the main flock and Hawkeye didn't pay any attention to them at all. And I don't want to inflict Scout on her-he's a little, shall we say, enthusiastic, LOL? Besides, the only cross I'd have been interested in would have been the Blue Orp/Brahma anyway. I'm going to try to incubate one of her eggs again to see if anything has changed with her chemistry.

10. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    And cute they are, your Brahma/Orps, with their feathered feeties! [​IMG] I still want some one of these days when I get an incubator... I'll have to get back in contact with you when I do so I can get on your list. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by