Blue Orpington Q

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by loobyloo88, Aug 9, 2014.

1. loobyloo88

loobyloo88 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    UK
    I have a question regarding Blue Orps....I'm off to a small holder tomorrow to purchase some fertilised eggs for my broody to sit on. I spoke to the lady there today to ask what bantam breeds she currently has, and blue orps came up. Now all she said was "We have some blue orpington eggs..." and carried on with other breeds. I'm not sure until I go tomorrow what the eggs has been bread from (blue roo and hen or blue and splash) ans I know its a mix as to what % blue chicks but I'm curious if you advertise as 'blue orpingtons' can it be ANY blue mix?

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    So she has some blue orpingtons in a mixed flock, or does she have a separate pen for them?

3. loobyloo88

Jun 25, 2014
    UK
    She pure breeds so they have their own pen. But I didn't get a chance to ask on the phine (but will tomorrow) where she is breeding blue roo and hen as I know the colour outcome is only 50% blue, so wondered if a breeder sold blue orps hatching eggs whether they are saying they will hatch blue (bred from a blue and a splash) or the are from blues (blue and blue).

I really would like a blue out of my hatch, which is why I'm wondering...but I guess I'll see for myself tomorrow when I get there. I will be getting either way to be honest...im just curious over the naming of the eggs as 'blue'

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They would be considered blue Orpingtons eggs even though blue, black and splash are all possible. What your possibilities are will depend on what she has for breeder birds.

5. loobyloo88

Jun 25, 2014
    UK
    Thank you! I'll be there in a couple of hours. Will see what she has! X

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by