Blue Orpington Rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CloggingChicken, Jan 11, 2010.

1. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    I have a flock with two Blue Orp and one SLW Rooster and various hens including Wyandotte, Blue and Buff Orps. There is one particular Roo that seems to wait for hens to wander around then he is all over them with love. It has now gotten to the point where 3 hens are scratched and injured and more are showing signs of wear. He is scratching right through their sides under the wings and wearing off their back feathers. I don't think that aprons are going cover where he appears to be injuring them and hate the idea of the hens suffering. Our egg production has actually gone down since the injuries have started. Does any one know what else might be tried to keep the injuries down? I have posted in the FS area thinking that giving him away may be the only reprieve for the hens and hate to think that he be craigslisted for meat but don't know what else to do. He is really quite docile and doesn't mind being handled.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Bill

2. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I have a Blue and a Splash Orp boy who can be quite uhm eager I guess. I have put saddles on 4 girls and just got two with wing protectors for the two favorite girls. I think this made a huge improvement. I have also been told about peepers working well but I have never used them. Good luck [​IMG]

ETA

I also keep my roos nails trimmed. And on a side note my hubby is from SC talk about a transplant [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Hey i have a solution...Send me one of your Blue Orp Roo! Problem solved![​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We've had to sew up two different blue Orp hens due to my huge Blue Orp rooster's weight, even after trimming his spurs. The saddles need flaps to cover their flanks and that will fix it. I make them with faux leather fabric, which is very tough, and with extra flaps over their flanks. Works great! Here's the one I make. Ain't pretty, but it works very well. The extra flaps are what you need.

[​IMG]

5. AkTomboy

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Speckledhen I love that idea! I will keep it in mind if my roos start getting to the flanks. Thanks for the great idea!

6. Diavolicchio

Diavolicchio Buk Buk Buk Buh-GAWWWK

Quote:Speckledhen:

Any chance you could post a photo of one of your hens wearing your design? I'm still at a bit of a loss for how that thing fits and how it stays on.

And no, I'm not some sicko into hen lingerie [​IMG]

Thanks,

John

7. AkTomboy

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  8. speckledhen

Mine has elastic that goes over the wings and settles right where the wing attaches to the body. It slips through the tongue back and forth for ease of putting it on. There needs to be batting or something in between the top and bottom piece of fabric, in addition to heavy fabric like the faux leather for weight so it won't flip over her head all the time.

[​IMG]

9. Diavolicchio

Diavolicchio Buk Buk Buk Buh-GAWWWK

Quote:Cynthia,

That makes much more sense now. Thanks for posting the pic.

Now do you have any hens dressed up in a seductive French Maid's outfit, kinda like his cat?

[​IMG]

Now we're talkin' . . . [​IMG]

John

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  10. speckledhen

Hahahaha, no, sorry, we don't dress up our animals for fun here at the Chicken Asylum! The saddles were completely necessary equipment for my Suede's women. Even with hens who are not with a big tank of a rooster like he is, the saddles protect their bare backs and keep them warmer during a hard molt, which one of my blue Orps in that picture is trying to recover from. Took forever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by