1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Orpingtons 27 Weeks Old-Suede and His Ladies(PICS)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Aug 9, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Suede has his Velvet plus two slightly younger (by a week) Brahma girls in his pen. Later on, my other Blue Orp pullet, Skye, will be joining them when she's slightly older. Here they are today. Poor things are actually handling the heat fairly well since I mist them and the pen down several times a day. And I will be selling hatching eggs in the spring, at least that's the plan, either pure Blue Orps or Blue Orp/Brahma crosses. Naturally, if you hatch eggs from Velvet or Skye with Suede, you can get blue, black or splash colors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Where in N. GA Mtns are you?
    My mom lives between LaFayette, Ringgold & Dalton. I want to hatch some babes next spring... Are blue Orps as sweet as the buffs?

3. speckledhen

Do you know where Fannin County is? Right below and slightly to the east of where TN and NC come together is where I live. It takes me just over an hour to get to Dalton from here.
    Blue Orps dont start out as friendly at the outset as Buffs do, at least in my experience, however, my Suede will follow me everywhere and come when he's called. He's very sweet and so it Velvet, athough she really doesnt like being held that much.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Cynthia......very pretty! I will have to try to get a good pic of my boy...Gin. BO roo. He is soo sweet, and lets me pick him up and cuddle him. [​IMG]

5. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    Wow Cyn, he is looking just like his Daddy , Blue Boy. That blue pullet is very typey. I love her build. I only kept one pullet so far from this years hatch and she larger than my hen. Blue boy is producing some really awesome offspring. I just had a BO hatch a Blue, Black and splash chicks. I could 'nt believe one of each color. I thought one was black till it dryed good. Maybe it will be a pretty blue like your Velvet.

6. speckledhen

Thank you so much, Julie! I'm so glad to have your opinion on them. I thought Velvet was shaping up nicely. She was just suddenly very large and "cushiony" one day. I think we should have some lovely chicks from these Blue Orps. I hope that my younger pullet, Skye, that I hatched awhile after these will turn out just as lovely as Velvet has.

7. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    They are beautiful birds.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    julie and speckled hen...you are making me drool![​IMG]

9. speckledhen