1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Orpingtons & Others, Now 9 Wks Old (PICS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Apr 7, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Blue Orpington cockerel who will be my breeder for that part of my flock is named Suede. Here he is with my Meg, a Lucille Ball-type redhead whose daddy was a dark mahogany red Rhode Isl Red and her mom was a Buff Orpington. I love the blue and flaming red together!
    [​IMG]
    Blue Orpington Pullet, Velvet:[​IMG]
    Buff Brahma, Caroline, and Lt. Brahma, Bart, formerly known as BESS-one of Ideal's sexing mistakes-anyone want a Lt. Brahma cockerel? He's a sweetie![​IMG]
    Meg, actually named "Nutmeg" for her color:
    [​IMG]
    Pullet chick named Tux, a Cochin/Silkie crossed with Barred Rock mom:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  2. Duck-Madx

Duck-Madx Out Of The Brooder

What Lovely Chickens!
    Suede Is A Very Handsome Blue Orpington!!!!
    [​IMG]

3. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    how pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Tux looks so serious! and that hair do!! Woo! [​IMG]
    About your grit feeders? I think that's what they are, the red ones on the wall? If so, very clever, do they work well there?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, that's grit in them. When I moved into this house, the family of the deceased owner left lots of stuff. One thing was this huge wall organizer thing with screws, nuts, bolts, etc. in it. It has a slide bar that fastens on the wall, then all these separate red compartments just snap onto it, as many or as few as you want. Works great for grit, oyster shell, etc.

Tux has two siblings that look exactly like her except in minor details. That hairdo comes from her daddy, who was a very, very old Cochin/Silkie cross owned by my friend who gave me the hatching eggs from her Barred Rock hens. He was believed to be infertile and didn't father any chicks until her last batch she incubated before he died and then she gave me a bunch of eggs after warning me that they may not be pure Barred Rocks. He died just after that. All hers have feathered feet and no poufy head; all my pullets have poufy hairdos and clean legs and feet!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Great looking chickens!![​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by