Blue Orpingtons Rooster Comparison Pics Any suggestions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BamaChicken, Aug 9, 2009.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I am wondering how the dark Saddle on this young five month Cockerel will turn out. I am hoping it will be nice and dark like his father. I have lots of young cockerels with varying shades of Darkness coming on.
    This is Tank. He is nice and large with lots of plummage. I will keep him for breeding if the Saddle looks good in th[​IMG]e next three months.

[​IMG]

This a six month old pullet that is still growing. She if filling out nicely and will make a good breeder I hope. Will be breed back to the Father in line breeding.
    [​IMG]

Here is a group of 4 1/2 month olds that look a bit leggy yet. Am just waiting for them all to grow up a bit yet before i make the final decision on who stays and who goes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm drooling! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Tank is aptly named! Wow. The size of the BBS Orp roosters always is impressive and when one is as densely fluffy as those are, it's even moreso.

4. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Cynthia, we kept saying he looks like a small Tank and the name stuck.
    Katy you will surely have at least a few looking like this with all the ones you have hatched. The latter hatches have been much better to me than the earlier hatches. I guess E. Campbell is right in his book about hatching the whole season and having better in the latter.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:My older group is starting to look pretty again....the younger ones are at that ugly gangley stage. [​IMG]

6. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    I am just hoping for a really dark Saddle on these boys. I had a cockerel that I kept to 10 months from eggs I hatched from another breeder and he never got a complete dark Saddle across the back and it just didn't look right. Also he looked more like a Jersey Giant in Type so I sold him.

Charlie has a very nice Saddle in my OP
    [​IMG]

Blue Boy has a dark Saddle but not nearly as nice as even as Charlie has.
    [​IMG]

With Blue boy being related to the most of the hens Charlie was bred to I am hoping they inherit Charlies coloring over Blue Boys.

7. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    They always make me...[​IMG]

I want those pantaloons on my birds!

8. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks MJ, I was hoping someone with experience would look and tell me if they have had experience with the Saddle thing being passed on.

9. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Ohhhh they are just gorgeous!

10. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    I keep looking back at Charlie and BlueBoy and wonder what they would look like if the pictures were taken at the same age.... I wonder if BlueBoy's saddle is still maturing?

Anybody? I am still relatively new to BBS in Orps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: