Blue Orpingtons wanted in southern NJ

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by JestersEye, Aug 29, 2008.

1. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    My son already has a few Blue Andalusian chicks to raise for the 4-H, but we've decided that it would be easiest if he had some broody-type birds to help hatch their eggs for us. After doing more research on the internet, we are really hoping to find someone who can sell us a few Blue Orpingtons, to start our own little flock. We don't mind traveling an hour to an hour and a half to pick them up, or we'd need a small order (sexed if possible?) of day-old chicks shipped to our zip: 08215. Can anyone help us get some Blue Orps of our own???

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't know if you know this -

Silkies come in blue and they are some serious broody hens. It is my understanding the silkies go broody at the drop of a hat. You might have better luck with a broody silkie.

I won't have orp eggs until spring.

3. JestersEye

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Thanks for the info. I did learn that about silkies and had considered them because of this, but I guess we just aren't really into chickens that look SO unusual. I asked my son if he liked them, but he says no 'cause he can't even see their eyes. I was also worried that wet weather might be more of a problem what with all their fluff. We really like the look and description of the Orps, though! [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you love the orps you will also love the wyandottes. [​IMG]

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I didn't like the look of silkies either but they are growing on me since I got them. Mine are pretty calm for birds that haven't been handled much. I don't call them chickens though, I call them Sillies. Just balls of fluff but they are kind of neat to have around now. I tell everyone they are my fake chickens. By the way, I do have Orpingtons and they are awesome!

6. JestersEye

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    LOL They do look kinda "silly". They really just don't look real! They remind me of some kind of stuffed animal or a tangled mop head. ;P To give credit where its warranted, though... They're neat looking for the sake of taking a bird and breeding it to look so different. And I do hear that they are very friendly chickens.

However, my son and I are desperately hoping to find some Blue Orps, if anyone can lead us in the right direction. I'm not sure of the genetics involved, but if the blue coloring is the result of other color varieties (i.e. Black crossed with a White or Splash parent), then we'd be happy to take whatever colors we need to "grow" our own Blues. We need at least one roo and two hens as breeders to get started. Are the blues a result of co-dominance as it is with Blue Analusians, or do Blue Orps breed true?

Btw, how is the Lavender color related to the Blue variety? I was just wondering what kind of genetic connection exists between the different kinds of orps. Maybe hinkjc could answer some of my questions... I hear they are the BYC experts on Orpingtons! [​IMG]

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Ok, maybe I can help answer some of your questions. First of all, are you interested in incubating? If you are then there are many people here with blue orps and you would be able to get many high quality ones that you hatched yourself.

Second, blues do not breed true. If you have a splash and a black you can get all blue. If you breed blue to blue you will get 25% black, 50% blue and 25% splash.

The lavender gene is different entirely from my understanding but hinkjc can tell you more about that.

Best of luck to you!

8. JestersEye

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Eventually, I do want to do some incubating... but I need to build (or buy) an incubator first. So far, I only have baby chicks that I am brooding, and it would be nice to get some young Orps to raise up with them.

I was really hoping to get a few Blue Orps to start with, so I was hoping that someone might be able to sell me some chicks, or a couple pullets with a cockeral. Blue, splash, or black would be fine. It sounds like the same genetics as the Blue Andalusians... Splash x Black produces all Blues, Blue x Blue = 1:2:1 ratio of splash, blue, black offspring.

Any chance of finding someone close enough to ship chicks to southern NJ, or within a reasonable driving distance?

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:It's my understanding that if you DO locate some blue orp eggs, chicks, or adults... you will be on a very long waiting list. They're not that easy to come by.

Good luck.

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:The blue gene works the same in all breeds.

Shellie is correct. I won't have eggs until spring. I have a few chicks but I will not risk their lives by shipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by