Blue Orpingtons!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jerryf, Oct 9, 2007.

1. jerryf

jerryf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2007
    Fergus Falls, MN
    I am so excited. I have started my flock of Blues. I have a roo, a black hen, a blue hen and 2 blue pullets! Rounding out the flock is 4 buff hens. Orpingtons are gentle, calm and great looking birds.
    Come Spring will be hatching a batch of eggs........Blue/Splash/Black and the experimental Blue x Buff....trying for a few blue tailed buffs.
    This flock is for the pure pleasure of watching them free range. So Orpingtons of any color will be just fine.

Jerry

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Will be looking forward to seeing plenty of pics from your hatchings !!!

I have a blue roo and buff hens and hope to have some chicks from them in the spring.

I had been to another site and copied and pasted what it said with regard to crossing buff and blue orpingtons.

Buff x Blue gives 50% black and 50% blue....... I wondered if that was true. Anybody out there know for sure...lol. Would think you'd get some buff in there too...

I've found lots of info with regard to what you get crossing blue and black but that was all with regard to buff.

Good luck with your breeding and remember to post pics !!!

Julie

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Show us some photos of your blues.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Love 'em! That's why I'm building my flock as well. If you want any eggs in the future to mix up your gene pool, take a look at any of the "Suede" threads to see mine.

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I love orps, have you got a pic???

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    We want pictures [​IMG]

7. chickenfeathers

chickenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning Jerry! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welcome to the board!

[​IMG]

8. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I have buffs as well. I would love to see a buff X blue mix. That would be so pretty with a buff bod and that beautiful black tail. Must have pics........ [​IMG]

9. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    My Mother Crossed a relative of Suedes with buff Orp hens. She now has a gorgeous Roo that has a Blue base and a very light blonde hackle and saddle feathers. Two pullets turned out blue and two have blue under coatings with lacing on a buff breast. I will take pics sometime this week when I go check on her. She didn't hatch any black but I am sure it is possible

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Heres the pic of my new Black, Blue Orpington flock....hatched in July of this year...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by