Blue Orpinton question (updated w/pictures)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tberggren, Aug 20, 2008.

1. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    If you have a choice between two blue roos, both equally nice in type but one is dark but smaller than the other.

Which is considered the better choice dark but smaller or bigger but lighter?

Thanks
    Theresa

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Honestly, I would go with the one who has the best, most pronounced lacing. I personally like the med blues, which allows for the hackle and saddle feathers to be in nice contrast to the body color. Depends on how dark or how light your boys are, too, I would think. Do you have pictures?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would choose the one with the best body type and lacing. I was told by some rather old farmers that a large hen is more important than a large roo.

Show us some photos.

4. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:I have heard the same thing. "Never get rid of a small big boned hen" Pictures would help.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I neglected to mention the body type, sorry. Maybe your smaller rooster is just a slower-to-develop one. Orpingtons can take awhile to fully fill out. Body type is most important than color, however, if your only final issue is color, I'd go with better lacing. If that better lacing is on a puny, narrow body, then I'd go with a better body. Hope that makes sense.

6. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Sorry for the delay, I should have pictures tomorrow for you to review.

Thanks [​IMG]

Theresa

7. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Here are the pictures for you all to compare and tell me which you think you would keep if the choice was yours and why. Thanks everyone!![​IMG] I forgot to mention that these guys are a little over 3 months old.

Light blue boy (first picture for body type but second is more true to color
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Dark blue boy

[​IMG]

This picture is to show the size difference, when held the bigger boy feels twice as heavy

[​IMG]

Wing comparison shots
    Dark boy Light boy
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

To make it even more difficult I also have a really nice splash boy here are a few pictures of him, please tell me what you think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to hearing your replies.

Thanks again
    Theresa

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I personally like your Splash and the dark cockeral, he has nice lacing....It takes months for cockerals to show their true colors and I mean months....

9. candyd

candyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    I really like them all, if I had to decide I dont know which one I would pick. They are all handsome!

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would wait another another couple of months before even trying to decide which one to keep. They change alot when they start looking like a more mature rooster.

I like the dark lacing and you can never judge a splash that young.

Please wait. You may be kicking yourself in 6 months for a hurried choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by