Blue Orps (Bamachicken) and a Blue Naked Neck

silverfilly, I am very pleased with the hatch that I got from Bamachickens eggs. Also they are some big chicks.

airmom, hey yes these blue orps should get just as big as the ones that I already have.

Kev, Thanks and the only one I know who has the Mottled Orps is Bamachicken and she has posted pics on other threads so probably the same one. I'm not sure just what color the chocolate NN will grow up to look like. As for the parents the mom is a red NN hen and the father is a Big Blue Orp rooster.

Katy, when my eggs from bamachicken started pipping it didn't take them very long at all and I had chicks, those where some fast lil rascals getting out of the shells.

Oh no wonder you're so excited about those chicks! My eyes just bugged at Bama's mottled orp.

That's very neat, would love to be updated on those NNs.
smile.png
Did you do the cross or did they come from Bama too?

I have a bunch of NN eggs cooking under hens.. due to hatch in 2 weeks, from the usual standard mixed color flock, although the lady who sent those eggs did mention she had a gold laced NN in her flock.

Now a NN mottled like Bama's would be real nice! So would be chocolate colored ones..

James.
Here are the nn I got out of yours.. They look nothing like yours. I like mine better.
tongue.png
Mine are prettier, if you can say that when talking about nn. Mine I think maybe are blue and buff mixed . What color would you say they are? The one that did not make it was a black I think. I thought maybe dark blue at first until I saw a picture of a black and then it looked exactly like that one.
Mine are the same color but a tiny bit darker as one of my mixed orps.

You can see the feathering coming in is beautiful. I am pretty sure judging by the comb that one is a roo and one a pullet. I could tell at 6 days old. They are now 8 days old.

The first is the pullet, I think.
menkot-jmsnnpullet.jpg

Little roo. He is showing off his new comb.
smile.png

menkot-jmsnnroo.jpg

Kev, thats exactly why. I have wanted some Mottled ever since I saw Bamachickens pics of her Mottled. I will post pics of the Chocolate NN as it grows and feathers out more. And no these are not from bama's birds these are from my own. I have a red hen and 2 black hens and they are in the pen with a Blue Orp rooster. A couple of years ago I did the same cross except I had all black NN hens and a Blue rooster. Everyone. ( well everyone that likes the NN's had a fit over them.) So I decided that I had to make some more.
big_smile.png

menkot, Hey there yours are some pretty lil birds but I like mine better..
tongue.png
lol.png
especially my little blue one. Yours are more than likely from the red hen and my black orp rooster. He was with them for awhile and he kind of kept the blue roo away from the girls. So since I wanted blue NN's the black roo had to go.
smile.png
I think you have it right the top pic appears to be a pullet and the bottom a roo. The top bird should mature to be black with a straw colored head and maybe a little straw on the shoulders. (especially since it can't have a straw colored neck.)
lol.png
The bottom pic from the looks will have some red or brown on its wings and back. And yes they are feathering really nicely. I have 1 dominique colored NN pullet and she is 3 weeks old and completely feathered out. Now you talk about a beautiful lil bird she is it.

It was dark in here when I took the picture but if you look really closely, I think the pullet is blue and red. She is the same color fluff as the orps. The roo is darker (black) with the red. Look at the top ones chest around the naked spot and I think you can see more of the blue. Yours are boring neener neener... just one color each. Mine are all kinds of pretty colors mixed in. SO mine are definitely prettier.

Calm down guys, my NN are the best of all.
wink.png

Thanks, for the offer to keep us all updated on the chocolate one! Are there pictures of older chicks from the cross or from last year? I have to see how a Orp x NN looks! Isn't it funny how everybody pretends to hate NNs but fall over each other at the chance to get some?

If you get mottleds and decide to cross some with a NN I will be the first in line for eggs! Do you think we could super glue some fake fuzz to a NN roo's neck and slip him in Bama's coop and then ask for eggs? Just a totally innocent. random thought......

Kev, nah I bet both myself and menkot would have to disagree with ya on that one and I can't say anything because her NN chicks came from eggs she got from me..
big_smile.png
and of course we would both have to team up in this matter and say ours was best..
lau.gif

Also no problem on keeping you updated on the chocolate one. I don't have any pics of older chicks from the birds that I have now but I do have a picture of one of my Blue NN's that I raised a few years ago and it was the same cross a Blue Orp roo with NN hens.

Hmm, guess I will have to work on the Mottled NN's, I made my own Blue Mottled cochin bantams so I bet I can get Mottled NN's also. I think I would much rather make my own rather than risk Bama's wrath if she caught onto that happening
lol.png

blueturkenroo4.JPG

This next pic will give you an idea of his size. That is his back half that you can see and that is a standard size Ameraucana standing behind him. Notice how much taller he is and the Ameraucana was over 1 yr old and the Turken about 8 months when that pic was taken.

YoungAmeracaunaRooster.JPG

James

::coughsoreloser!cough::
wink.png

I like his coloring quite a lot. Nice size too! Are you also going for larger size in the NNs?

The usual mottle is an simple recessive. Apparently Bama's are something different as it seems to show dominant traits.. plus the mottling is not the same, just seems more exciting to the eye.. If hers proves dominant, then it will be easy to introduce it into NNs.. Blue mottleds are very beautiful, I actually prefer them over black mottleds. You have good tastes! Here's a nice thought- lavender. With that gene you could make porcelains or pastel colored birds, as lavender dilutes both black and red colors, unlike blue which mainly affects black- as the Ameraucana is good example of that.

Thanks again for showing those pictures, I really like that coloring.

Back
Top Bottom