1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Orps. Hatching!**PICTURES**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by perfectly_polish, Jun 25, 2008.

1. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I was sent 9 eggs, 3 were COA(cracked on arrival [​IMG]), so that left me with 6 eggs, 3 didn't make it and now I have 3 that are hatching as I type. Well 2 already hatch, 3 days early, one is splash and one is blue, the last one hatching is almost out and looks to be a blue or black. I'll post pictures ASAP!

Edited to add pictures!

Here they are! I'm still waiting on one to hatch, hopefully soon. The blue/black one in the pictures looks like a boy, his comb is huge already!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] Yes, Pictures!

3. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Pictures are uploading now!

4. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Uhm, this might be a stupid question, but why are the blue/black one's feet so twisted??

They are adorable! [​IMG] Good luck on the third one!

5. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, what sweet pictures!!!!!

6. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Quote:His legs definitely need 'set'.... don't you do that by taping his feet onto small pieces of ...say cardstock that are just big enough for his feet to be set correctly in place. I know there are many ideas & solutions on here I've seen for setting legs, they should have info further on feet. A search on the injury section may help.

7. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:It was just the way he was sitting, they are fine now. The third one was really stuck in the egg, and did need a little assistance, but made it out on its own and is drying off [​IMG]

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    AWWWWWW! Look at the size of your blue/black boy's feet in picture #14!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  9. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Here is another picture of the blue boy that I just took now. His feet are perfect [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Keep a close watch on his feet. These blue orps can show up with curled toes anytime in the next 2 weeks. If they are curling now it is a good bet they will not grow to be straight toes and feet for adults. If you have chicks with curled toes do not use them for breeding.

Curly wore boots for nearly a month

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a large orp roo and the biggest one I own his toes started curling again even after the boots. He is the best looking roo I have but I can't use him for breeding. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by