Blue Plymouth Rock Genetics Question.

BunngG

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2022
West Virginia
Good morning everyone,

Hoping someone can help me with a genetics question. So I know sex linked blue plymouth rocks are made by crossing Andalusian roo with Barred Rock hen.

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to breed the blue plymouth rock offspring to reproduce the original Andalusian genes?

I am looking at making this a project, is it possible to ever breed true blue offspring or will they all be blue black splash, after hours fiddling with the genetics calculator I am unsure if it is even possible.

Has anyone had any experience with this, or maybe a degree in genetics that can help 😁.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide 😊.

Last edited:
bbs-chart.jpg

Blue is a funny color gene, you can't breed the color true, unlike black, Red, or white. It is a diluter of black.
:caf, still waking up abit.

You can keep a cycle of blues going, through breeding in specific orders like the chart, but keeping a true breeding line of blue can't happen.

Blue is a funny color gene, you can't breed the color true, unlike black, Red, or white. It is a diluter of black.
:caf, still waking up abit.

You can keep a cycle of blues going, through breeding in specific orders like the chart, but keeping a true breeding line of blue can't happen.
Thank you for your response I truly appreciate it.

I have another question if you can help, Andalusians lay white eggs and plymouth rock brown, now as the brown is a coating on the white do you know if any of the offspring of blue plymouth rocks will ever produce a white egg or just varying shades of light brown.

Sorry to bombard you with questions so early in the morning.

When I used to have chickens it was just try to collect a few eggs and not get attacked by the roo lol, now I am trying to set up a hobby farm and who knew chicken genetics could be so complicated 😅.

Thank you for your response I truly appreciate it.

I have another question if you can help, Andalusians lay white eggs and plymouth rock brown, now as the brown is a coating on the white do you know if any of the offspring of blue plymouth rocks will ever produce a white egg or just varying shades of light brown.

Sorry to bombard you with questions so early in the morning.

When I used to have chickens it was just try to collect a few eggs and not get attacked by the roo lol, now I am trying to set up a hobby farm and who knew chicken genetics could be so complicated 😅.
Egg color genetics is something I'm still learning, so that portion of the question will need someone who knows better then I do.

Got myself a hobby farm. What variety of birds are planning to have once completed?

I already have silver laced wyandottes, blue plymouth rock (my daughters 4h project), easter eggers, isa brown (my sons 4h project).

I am waiting for my delivery of Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Blue Laced Red wyandottes and Light Brahma's. I am also getting some heritage breed turkeys and my husband wanted ducks so we now have some khaki campbells and rouens.

I tried to sneak in an order for welsummers, bielefelder's, speckled sussex and blue ameraucanas but my Husband's making me wait till next spring for those, lol.

What breeds do you have?
Purebreds:
OEGBs

Silkies

Black Sumatras

Malays

Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks

Buff Orpington

Project Orpingtons(Mostly pure, discontinued project)

Easter Eggers

Brahma

Mixed Breeds:

Silkie/Brahma

Easter Egger/Brahma

OEGB/Phoenix

OEGB/Mille Fleur D'uccle X Silkie

OEGB/Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB

Japanese bantam mix

Marans/American Game cross

Buff Orpington/Barred Rock X RIR

Marans/Gamefowl/Project Orpington mix

CrackerFowl Hens(Red JungleFowl/American Game crosses)

Silkie X CrackerFowl

Wow, thats a lot to keep track of, the silkie/brahma sound interesting, did they come out silkie or frizzell?

My daughter wants silkies but as they are so small im not sure how well they would do in WV winter.

Back
Top Bottom