blue/purple tips on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bmbi328, Jan 11, 2014.

1. bmbi328

bmbi328 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Claremore Oklahoma
    Our temp. here as been unusual, it has been at freezing or just below for about a week. I put a heat lamp in my chicken coop/run to help keep the chickens warm. I noticed that my White Leghorn's comb was turning blue. I was afraid that it was frostbite. I have been putting vaseline on it while it has been cold. I just notice today, that it is now a blueish purble/black. It doesn't seem to bother her. I checked her out, everything else seems to be fine. I haven't noticed her not laying, I have been getting the same amount of eggs daily. What can I do to help heal this? What can I give her? These are pictures I took today.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm afraid they're isn't much you can do to heal frostbite. You might want to try bag balm on the comb. I know this can help prevent the frostbite Sometimes and it could be beneficial to the area.bag balm can be found at most feed stores. You can try it and see how it fares. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by