Blue Ribbon RX, what is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gazinga, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i recieved a bottle of Blue Ribbon RX Remedy, says its for respitory relief, colds, roup, congestion. Kills mites and eggs, stops scaly leg. But there are no instructions on its use.

How do i use it and what exactly is it?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You mean Vet Rx? Never heard it called Blue Ribbon. If it's the same as Vet Rx for Poultry, it's like Vicks VapoRub for chickens. It may smother leg mites and help a sick chicken breathe better, but it really doesn't cure anything.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  3. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

well it doesnt say vet rx, it says "Blue Ribbon / RX Remedy" veterinary use only, respritory, etc etc, also says for show groom, i just dont know how to use it

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The Vet Rx has camphor and oil of something or other. You generally rub is on their legs and their comb and wattles, but be careful, it's quite aromatic and not great in big doses. Makes the wattles and comb red and the legs shine. When people have birds with respiratory congestion, they might put a drop or two on the wattles to help the bird breathe. It only relieves symptoms, doesn't cure anything, really. I bet it's the same thing as Vet Rx. Sounds like it.

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    what are you using it for?

6. sammi

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
  7. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i understand it doesnt cure anything, except probably mites. Im not using yet because i dont know how to use it properly. do i rub it on, drop it in the water, what or how? i can find the product on teh internet but not instructions on its use, nor are there any on teh bottle.

8. sammi

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    try asking this question in another section...
    there are people here who go to shows and could tell you..
    do a search for "nnbreeder"..he goes to shows and is interested in certain breeds..any threads he is in might be helpful..you can pm him too..
    he'd be glad to help you.

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Don't think it goes in their water, though, G.

10. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Its the exact same thing as Vet-Rx..like vetrx, its used as a decongestive and by some show ppl to condition the combs and legs..Its rubbed on..Myself, I have no use for it, But I know some that swear by it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by