Blue Rock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by charlotteda, Jan 30, 2009.

1. charlotteda

charlotteda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    I've very excited as I wait for the eggs from Halo to hatch. First chicks in 10 years. I used to show bantams but have never breed birds in regards to color.

These are from her Blue Rock Rooster or Barred Rock Hens..

She said to expect blue babies and/or black babies.

I decided to ask this question here in the open forum so others can learn too...

I understand the basic genetics of eye color in humans where a child inherits one factor from each parent and the dominate color will show and might hide a recessive color.

Do chickens only have 1 gene for color ? What combos would I expect from these eggs...

Thanks charlotte

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    totally off topic but i was looking at you website, and i love your pond! [​IMG] we have one it is pretty, but yours is bigger, and you have more lillys [​IMG]

3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Blue Rock Rooster & Barred Rock Hens will produce Black pullets,Blue pullets, Barred Cockerels & Blue Barred Cockerels
    David

4. charlotteda

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    Thank you Brooster.. it is beautiful in the summer [​IMG]

David.... thanks for the info...

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Chicken color is about as complicated as color gets. There are genes for what you can see, what you can't, for color or pattern or both. There's literally nothing simple at all about it. What you see is not necessarily EVER what you get. White can be one of two types of white. Is there gold or silver in the background of a white or black bird? Is a black, with a few red feathers hiding the barring gene? The colombian pattern, the barred, the partridge, the gold laced, the silver laced, the duckwing, - you begin to see the problem.

Its the absolutely BEST part of breeding chickens. But then I'm a freak. However, HERE, I am in good company.

6. charlotteda

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    You're talking genotype and phenotype ?

7. Hi Charlotte! I hatched some of Kathy's eggs from Blue and the barred girls and that's exactly what I got!
    Black and blue barred boys and black and blue girls.
    They are all pretty, but I'm especially fond of the 2 blue Rock girls I hatched.
    Good luck with your eggs!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by