Blue roo, buff hen!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Crazy Chicken Fever, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Can anyone tell me what a blue rooster over a buff hen will throw in chicks? The breed is cochin.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It will throw black pencilled/blotted golden birds and blue pencilled/blotted golden birds. There's quite a few people who have done this cross before.

3. Crazy Chicken Fever

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Sounds interesting. Anyone have pics of birds?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  5. Crazy Chicken Fever

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Thanks so much! You are so helpful!

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Also beware that there are some crossing Blue and Buff Cochins and getting this color and calling it lemon Blue and this is NOT the true lemon blue color. True lemon Blue is Brown Red with Blue instead of black.

7. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    These are what I have gotten from a blue orpington roo with buff orpington hen`s. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:That rooster there is the 50% chance people seem to not be getting lately of the dun allele passing on. You have there a rooster with either khaki or dun coloring. If he was fully that color, he'd look like a chocolate bird. [​IMG]

9. Crazy Chicken Fever

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    That is a really pretty rooster, but I am not to crazy about the color of hens. Maybe I need to stick with black hens under the blue rooster. He is a frizzle and I wanted to breed for some nice frizzle chicks to sell to the locals this summer, considering everyone tries to leave my farm with my beautiful frizzle rooster. My mother has some BEAUTIFUL cochins! They are the best I have seen yet and I figured I would snatch a few buffs for a couple months. Maybe now I will have to try and talk her out of the blacks instead...lol

I love BYC....YOU ALL KNOW EVERYTHING~!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by