Blue Roo Fashion show. Jersey Giant/Blue Orp? PICS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, May 31, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I intended this post to be a fashion show of my blue kids, but they are somewhat uncoopertive today. So I thought I'd start with the easy ones. These are my blue roos.

The first 2 pictures are Brutus my big blue roo. I think he's a Jersey Giant, but I got my Blue Orps and my JG's mixed and I can't tell them apart so I'd appreciate your help and why you think that. Pictures don't do him justice, he's really pretty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my Blue Americana Roo. It is a roo right Cyn? I tried to get a good picture of him comb.

[​IMG]

I'll try to get picture of the girls soon

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    He does look like a Jersey Giant but its hard to tell in the pics. Look at the bottom of his feet and see if they are a yellowish color. I don't know about the blue orps but the Blue Giants have yellowish bottoms of their feet.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Bottom of his feet are yellowish. I don't know about Orps either. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Orps are supposed to be white on the bottom, however, when Sandhill mixed in Blue Rocks to offset inbreeding way back, they confused some genes and some can have yellow bottoms. How old is the Ameraucana, D? I can't remember. It does look roo-ish.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I know very little about orps, and even less about JGs, but I can tell you the young orp roosters I have are very round, not leggy and long like your roo, so I would think he would be a JG.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree with Kathy, that he does look quite leggy, much more like a JG than Orp body type. Check the foot bottoms and I bet they're yellow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by