Blue scaled and mountain quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mel3, Jan 27, 2014.

1. mel3

mel3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    I have 1 pair of valley a 2 pair of gambles in the same cage; and I'm wondering about blue scaled and mountain quail. I have room for other cages if they don't go good with each other. I was planning on picking some up in February at a bird swap.and breeding them this spring. Any thoughts. Thanks.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Come breeding season in the spring, you will need to separate the two species. You will not be able to keep Gambels and Valleys in the same cage as they will kill each other.

Both of these types of birds are kept 1 male to 1 female during breeding season. You can however, mix the pairs back together during the off season as they will enjoy to covey up for the winter months.

3. idhound

idhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Saint Anthony, Idaho
    i raise mountains and they will beat up any other breed i tried bob whites with them and valley they almost killed my bobs and did my valley and this was during fall when quail usually covey up. so do yourself favor before Mountain make sure you have their own flight pen. they are beautiful birds but are harder to raise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by