Blue Scaled Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mel3, Jan 27, 2014.

1. mel3

mel3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    I have 1 pair of valley a 2 pair of gambles in the same cage; and I'm wondering about blue scaled and mountain quail. I have room for other cages if they don't go good with each other. I was planning on picking some up in February at a bird swap.and breeding them this spring. Any thoughts. Thanks.

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Are you talking about attempting to cross breed the 2 species? If so, click here. Just my opinion, but each pair should be in their own cage.
    James

3. mel3

mel3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    No

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  4. mel3

mel3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    No I'm a beginner' so I'm taking suggestions; but I would separate the pairs during breeding season in their own separate cages.

5. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I would recommend waiting on the mountians for a while, they are renowned to be very difficult birds and not recommended for beginners. but as far as the scaled being housed with valley and gambel they should be fine behavior wise, but be careful during breeding season, always have permanent extra cages in case some don't get along. the three species may inter breed and their eggs are quite simila`r so be careful housing them together because it will get confusing fast.

6. mel3

mel3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    So when should I separate them if I want to breed the 3 species so they don't inter breed. Thanks

7. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Send a PM to TwoCrows, she knows. I seperated mine already but I had two pairs of the same specie together.

8. James the Bald

Jan 6, 2013
    Here is some reading I would recommend for the Scaled quail. Keep in mind, this document from the parks and wildlife department was aimed at people who wanted to improve their land for hunting. It even discusses natural hybrids. Here is another thread from last year.

Here is some info about the Gambles (man, I am SO jealous). That is ONE beautiful bird.

http://www.birdinginformation.com/birds/game-birds/gambels-quail/

http://www.blm.gov/ca/forms/wildlif...serial_number&search=2601&detaillabelc=Gambel

I wish you all the luck with your quail. I've searched this forum for more info on Gamble quail, and this is the only one I could find that could be of some assistance.
    James

9. mel3

mel3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Thanks for the great info. So if I have the gambles, valley and scaled all in the same cage does that mean I have to separate them, if I want to bread the three pairs. But not inter bread them.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  10. James the Bald

Jan 6, 2013
    That is what I would recommend. Most of the info on the web concerns those quail in the wild, not captivity. I was hoping that somebody would have more info about how they were caged. Just from what I've read about them in the wild, I would have a large cage for each species, and put in the type of vegetation that they are accustomed to. I am no expert on new world quail by any means; this site will also help.
    James

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by