1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Seal or Purina?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lm84, Jan 2, 2015.

1. lm84

lm84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    We have a surprise rooster in the flock now, so I'm going to be feeding a multi flock with the oyster shell for the hens. The multi flock is so much more than the layer feed! At my local Tractor Supply I have the option of Blue Seal Multi flock for $22.49 or Purina multi flock for $17.49. We have always fed Blue Seal because the general consensus was that it was a better quality. The price difference is tempting though. Is the quality difference worth price difference? Is there a cheaper option than multiflock when you have a rooster? I've tried local mills but no one has a multiflock, it's all layer mash, and the mash doesn't even work well in our feeders anyway.

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    You'll have to compare the ingredients.I think the extra cost is the freight.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The Blue Seal is 22% protein and the Purina is 20%. Have you looked for a local Blue Seal dealer? I get the multiflock from them for $16.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  4. lm84

Dec 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    You get the 50lb bag for $16? That's great. I can check around, but Tractor Supply seems to be the only local dealer. It seems hard to find in my area.

5. chixmaidservice

chixmaidservice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2013
    I would always vote for Blue Seal feeds if you are interested in quality ingredients and consistency of formulation. I have always had excellent luck contacting Blue Seal via e-mail- you might ask them where you can get it in your area or post in your state's area on this forum and see if any one can help you find it or share shipping on it.

6. matt44644

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    How is a company's corn or soybean meal any better than any other company's corn or SBM ?It is all outsourced from various local mills depending on availability.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  7. lm84

Dec 3, 2013
    New Jersey

I think it's more about amount of protein and healthy additives versus fillers and possible preservatives or unnecessary ingredients. You try to pick the lesser of two evils.

8. matt44644

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan

9. lm84

Dec 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    Ok, so instead of answering my question with another question, you could have started off by saying that. Thats what I assumed, but I was looking for opinions and comments, better company to support, more consistent quality of foods, better ingredients, anything to rationalize buying the more expensive one over the other, or not.

10. lm84

Dec 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    It's not as easy to find feed mills in my area as I thought it would be. Every mill I've contacted only sells layer mash. If it were up to me I'd be supporting local mills and farms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by