Blue Seal vs. Southern States

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WalkerH, Oct 17, 2011.

1. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking about switching because the Blue Seal is a little more then 15 dollars here, and I believe the Southern States layer is about 11 to 12, but I would need to recheck when I go to look at horse feed. But I don't want to skimp on the quality, although I have read people like it well enough. If I do decide I would like to get it soon so I can mix and start the switch from one feed to the other. So what are y'all's opinions on these two feeds? How was egg production and how was fertility with each?

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have never used Blue Seal, but I do use Southern States & don't have any problem with it.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Southern States is makes good feed. However, if you can find a Mill close by (there is usually one within an hour of anywhere in the South) you can get your feed much cheaper and it will be local.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've used Southern States and it is fine. Agree with saladin in finding a local mill, a local feed company where the farmers buy their feed. Such places can offer an even superior feed, fresh because they grind weekly and at an even lower price. Be assured, the small to medium sized farmers aren't buying their feed at a rural lifestyle, retail store in fancy bags.

The highest quality, locally milled feed often comes in a course grind that may resemble a whole grain flour. If you add a bit of water to it and stir in a bucket, the result is virtually identical to a moist, crumble. The birds will love it and you'll save another 3-5 dollars.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  5. WalkerH

Fred's Hens :

I've used Southern States and it is fine. Agree with saladin in finding a local mill, a local feed company where the farmers buy their feed. Such places can offer an even superior feed, fresh because they grind weekly and at an even lower price. Be assured, the small to medium sized farmers aren't buying their feed at a rural lifestyle, retail store in fancy bags.

The highest quality, locally milled feed often comes in a course grind that may resemble a whole grain flour. If you add a bit of water to it and stir in a bucket, the result is virtually identical to a moist, crumble. The birds will love it and you'll save another 3-5 dollars.

I've attempted to find a mill. The only one about here is the Amish who sell the Blue Seal, from which I buy. I would love to buy from a mill that made their own feeds. I think I will give Southern States a try though.​

6. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I don't have access to Southern States, and I use Blue Seal Eggmaker Crumbles.

Despite that, I just want to say please follow up with this thread after you've tried other brands. Many folks type a feed brand into the search query, and it's always helpful when people post a follow-up so people can compare. Good luck and let us know what you think! [​IMG]

7. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    I just bought a bag of blue seal feed and I don't care for it. I would rather buy a bag of crumbles and a bag of chick feed, my hens like when I top off their crumbles at night with a cup of chick feed. I normally use Dumor from tractor supply and I like that the best. I don't have a mill around my area so I buy what I can where. I also have never seen Southern States around here.

8. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I use Blue Seal, have for 30 some odd years. I use the egg maker crumbles. I have tried other brands-Agway, Purina and whatever else I can find around ere, but always go back to BS. We don't have mills up here, so I am stuck with the higher priced commercial feeds.

9. WalkerH

As someone asked I come back and tell my findings...I'm switching back to Blue Seal. I tried Southern States for a little while, a couple months. But they seem to eat a lot more of the Southern States, as if they aren't getting enough nutrition from it. I tried dumor a while back, and although it smelled good to me, they tore through that bag even quicker then Southern States. The extra couple dollars is worth it for me. Their egg laying also declined, although it has been warmer, longer days, and more browse when feeding Southern States. So back to Blue Seal I go. Also I would like to add the Southern States seemed a lot more dusty then the Blue Seal. A lot of the pelleted feed was still quite large and had a glossy coat, so not sure what was up with that.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  10. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    I tried a bag of Blue Seal once and that was a dusty mess.. went right back to the SS feed. My girls did great on that, but now have switched to a local mill. Got one ton of my custom mix for about $340, saving me.. well.. a 'ton' of moola :) Our local SS gets their grain in weekly, so I know it's not old.. their mill is about 2 hours away, but the guy I found to mill my own feed is even closer, luckily. I know lots of folks who swear by Blue Seal, lots who love SS, and lots who love their own mix.. I think it just comes down to whatever works for you and your birds :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by