Blue Sex-Links?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Peep-Chicken, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    My Pet Chicken sells blue sex-link hatching eggs. How can you get a blue sex-link chicken?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I wonder if it's from the black Sexlinks and somehow they got it to be a blue variety.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My way is to breed a splash rooster to a black barred hen. Splash x black = blue, and the solid roo over barred hen makes sex link chicks.

Here's babies with surrogate momma, female on the left, male on the right.

[​IMG]

Here they are a little older, female in the front. It's kind of hard to see the barring on the blue male as he feathers out, but it gets clearer as they mature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    2 people like this.
  4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow, that's so cool! Thanks!

5. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks. I'm hoping to really get my breeding project off the ground later this summer once my health permits. My goal is blue hens that lay blue eggs [​IMG]

6. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Would you lose the sex link effect if you bred it to a blue egged layer like an Americauna?

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Bred which? the parent stock or the offspring?

Egg color genetics don't cancel out any of the sex link genes. In my case, those chicks were a splash Ameraucana rooster (blue egg genes) over barred Rock hens (brown egg genes). So, the offspring pullet should lay some shade of green eggs.

Sex linkage is a one time deal, so breeding the sex link pullet or cockerel to any other bird won't give you a sex link.

8. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    We bred several from our Splash Blue Laced Red Wyandotte cock over Barred Plymouth Rock hens. All of the females were solid blue and the males were blue barred. Very cool project for a while, but we sold them as a laying flock and the cockerels went to be butchered.
    K&S

9. MeeMa Brown

MeeMa Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    What's a splash? ??

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Two copies of the Blue gene. The Blue gene is a dominant dilute for black coloring. Blacks have no dilute gene, Blues have one copy of the gene, and Splash have two copies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by