Blue sexlink?

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
I don't know if this will work or not, I still don't quite understand the way sex link color works, but I love anything blue. My planned project is to try mateing Blue Rock Roo with CuckooMaran hens. My goal is an all arround bird that will a larger bird for eating at an earlier age, and a good layer of nice color eggs.
Would this have the right gene combinations to get a blue sex link? Can you ever even get a blue sexlink with blue being the dulite of black? I would like to be able to sell chicks locally and be able to sex the chicks at hatch. I have talked to several local people and they are tired of getting sick chicks and not knowing what they are getting at the feed stores.
My other thought is Buff Orp roo with CM hens I know no chance of blue, but would I get a sexlink?
The birds that I want to do this with are just babies now, but I like to learn as much as I can, get plans down on paper, watch growth rate, exct, so this is something I'm looking at for next year.
Thanks for any input.

I'm not 100% sure on the blue rooster, but I am sure enough to put it in writing and face the embarrassment if I am wrong. I'm pretty sure you will get sex links with about half blue and the other half black.

With the Buff Orp over the CM hens, you should get sex links.

According to my understanding (limited), they chicks would all be blue. Check out the chicken color calculator.

Quote:
I agree with Ridgerunner the Buff X BC will produce black sex linked offspring. They will be black, white bellied with red on the faces.

The adult females will have an interesing phenotype. Burnt orange head, neck, back - fading out to black in the tail.

Blue rock X cuckoo marans

males- barred blue and barred black you will be able to sex the blue males- same as black sex linked ( grayish white shanks and feet)

females- blue or black ( black to grayish shanks and feet)

The shank and foot color depends on the genetics of the rock and marans.

Black birds ( blue and bared are black based) are a lot like white birds ( they have hypostatic or hidden genes) - they can be made on 3 different E locus alleles and all three can effect shank color.

Draye,

splash barred roo x black hen or black barred hen = blue barred offspring

black roo X splash barred hen = blue barred males and blue females

Tim

Last edited:
I asked a similar question a while ago, and this is what I found out. If what you care about is blue, rather than the coocoo or barring, then you want your roo to be splash unbarred, and your hens barred. That way, all the pullets will be blue solid, and the cockrels blue barred.
In other words:
So, if you have a splash rock roo, you'd get solid blue females and blue barred males.
If you use a Barred Rock roo over solid (splash) hen, you *should* all blue barred chicks, no sex link.

If you don't have a splash and use a blue roo, you will get at least 1/2 black.

The expert in this is Dipsey doodle do - you might PM her with the question.

Quote:
I've tried to work that chicken color calculator. Can't get it to work. Way over my head.

Back
Top Bottom