1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue silkie mum with a blue silkie dad = ......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fingers crossed, Mar 29, 2009.

  1. Fingers crossed

    Fingers crossed Out Of The Brooder

    45
    0
    22
    Mar 6, 2009
    If the "parents" of silkie eggs are both blue would the hatch be all blue or would you get other colours as a possibility?
     
  2. Sonoran Silkies

    Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

    20,149
    283
    401
    Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    25% chance of black, 50% chance of blue & 25% chance of splash
     
  3. greenfamilyfarms

    greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

    8,650
    35
    303
    Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Blue to blue produces black, blue splash and blue. Can't remember the percentages of each, but maybe somebody does.

    [​IMG]
     
  4. Fingers crossed

    Fingers crossed Out Of The Brooder

    45
    0
    22
    Mar 6, 2009
    OOh, would love for a splash to hatch! Thank you [​IMG]
     
  5. The Chicken Lady

    The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

    16,153
    62
    361
    Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Splash silkies are beautiful. I'm sending good hatching vibes your way! [​IMG]
     
  6. Fingers crossed

    Fingers crossed Out Of The Brooder

    45
    0
    22
    Mar 6, 2009
    Quote:Thank you so much. Theyre due on the 10th, 5 out of 6 eggs have movement [​IMG]
     
  7. Smokin Silkies

    Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

    Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Hmmmm. I didn't know that. I would figure if 2 Blue hatched eggs, they would be blue. I wonder why some breeders say that they keep colors seperated. What does it matter if you can get a black or splash out of a blue? Doesn't make sense to me [​IMG]
     
  8. Huny

    Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

    491
    0
    129
    Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Lavender is the only self-blue and it is recessive. The Blue has black sometimes hiding in the gene pool, and sometimes the splash. Someone with more genetic know how can explain it better.
     
  9. spydertoys

    spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

    933
    3
    141
    May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    I have blues, blue splash, blacks and whites..all together.
    I am just about over run with eggs and babies..but they are the cutest chicks in the world..hard to let them go..lol.
    One of my cochin mamas decided she wanted to go broody on one egg..so I gave her 18 silkie eggs..lol.!! MORE BABIES on the way!
     
  10. Sonoran Silkies

    Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

    20,149
    283
    401
    Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    All chickens have all chicken genes [​IMG]

    What determines the colouring is the combination of the particular versions, or alleles they have for each gene.

    Rather than saying black, how about if we say "not-blue."

    The blue gene is incompletely dominant. That means that having one copy of the allele versus two copies give an intermediate result.

    Bl is the allele referred to as the blue gene." It acts by diluting black pigment. Once cop of the gene dilutes black pigment to the colour we call blue. A 2nd copy further dilutes the blue bird to one with a lighter background colour with irregular, random dark blue splashes: the colour we call splash.

    So, zero copies of Bl (blbl) and the bird is "not blue." One copy of Bl (Blbl) and the bird is blue; two copies of Bl (BlBl) and the bird is splash.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by