1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue silkie rooster to partridge hens = blue partridge???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, Nov 4, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Does it?

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:all well carry partrdge some blue and some well be black

3. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    So none of them will be partridge in color? They will only have the gene?

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:all we be partridge some well not show it

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:all we be partridge some well not show it

your assessment is Not entirely correct.

say if the "Blue" silkie rooster is based on Extended Black(E allele) or E^R Birchen. then these genes are dominant over "eb"(Partridge). so you will have 50% chance of having Black looking silkies(with some ground color leakage) and some Blue looking silkies(with some ground color leakage)

6. Henferno

Henferno Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Waushara County, WI
    Although, speaking from personal experience, you may get an entirely perfectly marked blue partridge if you hatch out enough. X)

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Not possible in the first cross, that is if the Blue Silkie is Pure(having two copies of Extended Black) No E/eb bird can look like partridge. but this is possible if you cross F1xF1 and with enough numbers hatch, you will end up with some Blue Partridge

8. Henferno

Henferno Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Waushara County, WI
    Quote:Not possible in the first cross, that is if the Blue Silkie is Pure(having two copies of Extended Black) No E/eb bird can look like partridge. but this is possible if you cross F1xF1 and with enough numbers hatch, you will end up with some Blue Partridge

That seems to be a lot of chicken calculator knowledge.

I know how the chicken calculator works, but it's not entirely accurate.

I crossed a splash bird, for example, entirely splash from blue and black lines, to a silver spangled hamburg, and got a more-or-less blue spangled hamburg in the F1. According to the CC, you'll get blue. Only blue. 100% blue with possible SS leaking. I know a breeder who did the same thing with Dun.
    I once crossed a Recessive white cochin rooster carrying barred and silver to a partridge rock hen, and the mahogany diluted to silver and all of the girls had beautiful crisp silver-pencilled markings. Impossible calculation, apparently. An impossibly tiny chance. Blue partride and BlueBR (or at least STUNNINGLY close imitations with nice clean markings) have both happened for me on F1, it is definitely possible.

Anyway, I would go with a splash to partridge instead of blue, seems to work better.

9. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    i breed a black hen to partrdge male got 3 chicks out of then 2 blacks one partrdge, blacks had partrdge leakage and 3 was nicely colored partirdge

10. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:who said I get all my info from the Calculator?

Quote:Self Black Birds can be produced in any and ALL "e" alleles, Extended Blacks being the easiest followed by E^R.. what makes them Black? Melanizers. what keeps a E^R based bird with melanizers like Pg Ml from being Black but Spangled? Db, DarkBrown... what is the difference between Spangled Hamburgs and silver laced Hamburgs? another powerful columbian like restrictor. Columbian(Co)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by