Blue Silkie with pink skin- anyone ever seen this before?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by vtwineaux, Sep 11, 2012.

1. vtwineaux

vtwineaux New Egg

Sep 2, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    So I have a little blue silkie hen (just started laying this month) that has the oddest skin coloration. Her skin is pink! Even her comb is a bright hot pink color. Has anyone got a clue about why this happened? How do you think this would effect offspring from this hen? I purchased 4 blue and 4 buff silkies from McMurray Hatchery, two of the blue silkies turned out black and were roos so they went to a new home, and the other blue was a roo that I am keeping. All the buffs seem for now to be happy with looking like hens, but they are silkies, so who knows. They all have characteristic black silkie skin. Here is a (I know fuzzy) pic of this little girl, but you can clearly see around her eye it is almost white. [​IMG]

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I have a silkie that was born with pink skin and feet too... So weird...

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    If they are hatchery birds, therein lies the problem. Hatcheries don't aim towards the SOP (Standard of Perfection) as breeders do, so you are going to end up with birds that have disqualifying faults, such as light skin, too few or too many toes, hard feathering in excess, odd colors, etc. In other words, if you buy from most hatcheries, expect pet quality birds. If that is what you want, then fine. But if you want breeder quality or show quality, buy from a reputable breeder.

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

With mine, they are not hatchery birds. It is just one chick that was hatched from Roger and Vanilla. Vanilla is not SQ but she has good shape. Roger on the other hand was SQ. But I ended up with one chick out of 5 from that match up that is pink skinned. Roger and Leila now, all the chicks fro them were perfect. She got killed in the coon massacre though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by