Blue Silkies Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Dec 11, 2010.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    So...I have one blue silkie out completely from the shell, and another that popped out of the shell about 10 minutes ago, but with a lot of blood (well maybe a teaspoon or less). He is still attached to the bottom half of the egg, breathing, eyes closed, tried kicking away the shell once or twice, but now just laying there quietly with the other (1st) silkie being very noisy. So...is he going to be alright? It looks like there is some blood in the bottom of the egg shell, but not a lot? [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

How is the little one doing? It is very hard work hatching, so lots of rest is fairly normal.

Mine will have a bit of blood around the navel and as long as it is not flowing blood - they do fine.

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Well, he is totally out of the shell. Being noisy with the other one (no more hatched yet), and there is a spot of oozing on his naval, he seems active, but he also seems to be having a little wobbling when walking. Feet are not really curled, but one foot is a little bit curlier than I would like it. But he's getting around. [​IMG]

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    If it is oozing a lot I would try to get him out and put some blood stop on his navel so it will clot and not bleed or ooze out. I have had to do that once before, I opened the bator enough to get my hand in and grab a chick then stuck that blood stop power on and stuck it back in the bator quickly. I lost some humidity doing this but not enough to hurt any of the others hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by