Blue Sky Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by vatterpa, Sep 28, 2010.

1. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    Has anyone ordered from this place?

2. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    never heard of them.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've heard of it but they are like any other hatchery. Do a search on Blue Sky and you will come up a few.

4. vatterpa

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    I did but didn't really find any info. All i could find was it in a few discussions, not from any customers.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They look like any other hatchery to me. . . . With the inclusion of making people think they have Araucanas, sorry "Americana/Araucanas" [​IMG]

6. vatterpa

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:in the pic they have tails, so not araucanas

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:in the pic they have tails, so not araucanas

That's my point. They're not Araucanas or Ameraucanas, as no hatchery sells such. . . They're just Easter Eggers, meaning the hatchery lies just like all the others. [​IMG]

8. pine3115

pine3115 New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    Dead Golden Feather,

I am the owner of Bluesky Hatchery and would like to apologize to all of you. Chickens are not my main thing. Our main business is the Heritage and Wild Turkeys. We have these chickens because everyone kept asking if we would please carry the chickens that laid the green/blue eggs. When we ordered the parent stock, this is what they were called and so that is what I listed them on the site as. I did not mean to mislead anyone and if I have offended anyone, I am sorry.

1 person likes this.
  9. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    It is just a matter of ignorance on the part of hatcheries (and resultingly a HUGE number of people who just don't know better), and anyone we can educate is a point for the breeders! I think everyone involved with true Ameraucana and Araucana would appreciate seeing a change on your website. Meyer Hatchery is the only hatchery I know of to have responded to this issue - they now advertise "Easter Eggers" rather than Ameraucana or "Americauna". I lean heavily in their favor for this reason. They were notified that they were falsely advertising a product and corrected the mistake.

As someone who has business in heritage and wild turkeys, you may encounter the same kind of confusion/mislabeling - it is comparable to someone selling a mutt and calling it a Narragansett. Everyone who buys one of those completely bunk birds thinks THAT is what a Narragansett is supposed to look like, and the confusion perpetuates until people are actually arguing against you and saying that YOU are the one who doesn't know what you're looking at. And on top of that, every bird that is any sort of mix and doesn't fall into a breed definition suddenly is a Narragansett because all Narragansetts look different... because they're all actually mutts that may or may not have a desirable quality.

Really it's all just a huge mess, and whatever you choose to label them, it would be much appreciated, and no false advertisement, to call them Easter Eggers.

10. ChipotleChick

ChipotleChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I bought Red Bourbon and Sweetgrass turkeys from BlueSky Hatchery last year. They were all healthy on arrival and all made it through the brooder phase without any problem. They are beautiful turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by