Blue/Slate/Grey skin colour: mutt breeding and genetics question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by woodsia, Feb 26, 2015.

1. woodsia

woodsia Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Hello all,

This is Astrid:
    [​IMG]

She is one of a batch of easter egger eggs that I bought off kijiji. The hens were apparently a collection of ameraucana/easter eggers, light brahmas and dark brahmas. The rooster was a very handsome Ameraucana-looking boy with colouring similar to the roo in this thread. I don't know much more about them than that.

She is mostly white, with an odd black feather here and there. Her skin, beak and legs are all the same slate grey colour you can see on her face in the picture. I think she is just the prettiest little thing I've ever seen, and I would love to see if I could match her with a suitable husband some day to have more grey-faced white puffballs.

From the same hatch, I have three boys I assume are her half brothers (my understanding is that there shouldn't be any problem breeding half siblings - if I am mistaken in this, somebody please correct me!)

Two of the boys seem have kind of an ameraucana/brahma look, with normal chicken skin color, feathered legs, and so on:

Fenrir:
    [​IMG]

Maximus:
    [​IMG]

To complicate matters, the third is quite obviously part silkie, with bluey-black skin, black mouth and 5 toes.

Poe:
    [​IMG]

I contacted the seller, and he said that yes, he did have a silkie in the coop but hadn't thought that she would be laying, so he didn't mention her in the original description of the eggs.

So, based on all that, I have two questions:

Could Astrid's skin colour be related to her father's funky blue colouring, or is it more likely that there was another 'whoopsie' silkie somewhere in her lineage?

And also, if I wanted more chicks similar to her, would I be better off matching her up with one of the more brahma-looking boys, or the silkie mix?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by