Blue Slate Hen X Heritage Bronze Tom

Madi131

Songster
Jun 12, 2019
Perryville Missouri
I just hatched three of my turkey eggs. I had six of them, however the other three didn't make it unfortunatly. I was wondering what I should be expecting from a heritage bronze tom, and a blue slate hen. One came out blue slate, and two a bronze looking color. Is it just random? Or sexlinked? I can't find any info on this certain cross. I'm already growing partial to the blue one. Of course. It has what it looks to be bruises on its right ankle, and I just broke my ankle on Monday so he's my little bed rest buddy. I have 30 or so more to hatch soon. And I have eggs all over the yard under my three broody silkies and my two broody turkeys.

I just hatched three of my turkey eggs. I had six of them, however the other three didn't make it unfortunatly. I was wondering what I should be expecting from a heritage bronze tom, and a blue slate hen. One came out blue slate, and two a bronze looking color. Is it just random? Or sexlinked? I can't find any info on this certain cross. I'm already growing partial to the blue one. Of course. It has what it looks to be bruises on its right ankle, and I just broke my ankle on Monday so he's my little bed rest buddy. I have 30 or so more to hatch soon. And I have eggs all over the yard under my three broody silkies and my two broody turkeys.
The expected results if neither parent is carrying any hidden recessive genes are 50% Barred Black and 50% Barred Slate. None of the poults should look Bronze. The one that looks blue is most likely a Barred Slate (Bb Dd). The other poults should be black with the white face mask that is associated with the black color gene. They should be Barred Blacks (Bb dd)

The only way they can look like Bronze is if the hen is not a Blue Slate but is instead a Barred Slate which would allow for other varieties being hatched including Bronze.

The expected results if neither parent is carrying any hidden recessive genes are 50% Barred Black and 50% Barred Slate. None of the poults should look Bronze. The one that looks blue is most likely a Barred Slate (Bb Dd). The other poults should be black with the white face mask that is associated with the black color gene. They should be Barred Blacks (Bb dd)

The only way they can look like Bronze is if the hen is not a Blue Slate but is instead a Barred Slate which would allow for other varieties being hatched including Bronze.
Here are the babies;

Attachments

• Snapchat-1233372470.jpg
    Snapchat-1233372470.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Snapchat-822455471.jpg
    Snapchat-822455471.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Snapchat-369602332.jpg
    Snapchat-369602332.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 27

Agreed

I know the hen isn't 100% blue slate. Her mom was a blue slate, tom was a royal palm. I didn't hatch her but got her from a friend. All of her babies were either bronze or blue slate after the hens. Only tom was a royal palm.

Adorable!
Not sure why some of them look mostly bronze...
You may want to look at reference pics of Bronze poults. The one poult definitely looks Slate and could very well be a Barred Slate.

On my calibrated monitor neither of the other two poults looks like a Bronze and they clearly do not have a Black color gene.

Last edited:
I know the hen isn't 100% blue slate. Her mom was a blue slate, tom was a royal palm. I didn't hatch her but got her from a friend. All of her babies were either bronze or blue slate after the hens. Only tom was a royal palm.
That helps explain things.

I can pretty much guarantee you that none of the poults from a Blue Slate/Royal Palm mating were Bronze. That mating can produce Barred Semi-Color Semi-Gray Dilute Lilac hens, Tri-Color Mottled Slate toms, Barred Black Semi-Color Semi-Gray Narragansett hens and Barred Black Semi-Color Semi-Gray toms.

There has to be more going on because that specific pairing cannot produce any Bronze. The offspriing can produce an amazing variety of different colors when bred to each other.

Your hen is not a Tri-Color Mottled Slate and it does not have barred wings which pretty much eliminates the possibility that her father is a Royal Palm.

Your two off color poults do not have the white mask associated with the black color gene and therefore cannot have the black gene. They do seem to be showing some gray coloration that would be associated with the gray (cg) color gene which indeed could have been passed down from a Royal Palm.

My suspicion is that the off color poults are from your other hen and not from your Slate hen. I suspect that they will turn out to be one of the varieties that has a descriptive name rather than an actual name and that part of the name is Semi-Gray.

The bronze hen was from a bronze/royal palm.

The babies have to be from the slate; as the bronze hen had her own nest in our neighbors yard.

I only have a bronze tom; I was trying to explain where the hens came from. I am friends with the lady I got them from and her only tom was a royal palm.

Back
Top Bottom