Blue slate

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by farrier!, Sep 21, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have a chance to buy some blue slates. These are young birds. How big of a pen do they need? After they settle can they free range with the chickens and will they go to bed by themselves?

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My BRs free-range with chickens. I had to train them to go in the coop at night with the chickens (they prefer sleeping outside). But they're pretty good at it after 2 months -- I almost never have to herd them inside anymore.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My Blue Slate hen will squeeze through a 11 x 11 chicken door to sleep with the chickens (they have their own house) LOL....

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My blues freerange with my chickens. I got them as babies and babies they still are. They are huge but insist on me "helping" them into the coop. They stand at the bottom of the steps and I lift them up. Rotten....just rotten.

5. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Stanley, Oliver and Victor in the back. Love em!!!

6. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    chickensioux, that is too funny...reminds of this guy I saw at a dog show carrying his very large Doberman puppy around...he was sweating bullets and I stopped and asked him if there was something troubling the puppy that prevented him from walking...the guy just rolled his eyes and said, " He wont walk on a leash." WHAT!!!??? Bottom line tho, I would be "helping" my turkey babies into the coop too...[​IMG]

edited TWICE to make sure I spelled your name correctly...fingers are not keeping up with brain...more coffee pls

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  7. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I did call and say I wanted the birds.... [​IMG]
    Wish I had taken them the first day, before he lost half of them... [​IMG]
    If I post pictures can you help age and maybe sex them?

8. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Sure, that will be fun. My blue slate hen nests with my chickens but my Tom is an outdoorsman. He doesn't like the coop at night and only goes in when its raining in daylight. I think he's afraid of the coop at night.

9. newarkrooster

newarkrooster Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2007
    Can blue slate toms fly very well?

10. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have a 4 ft. chainlink fence and they have jumped over it. Their wings are not clipped. I don't know if they can do better than that. That's all mine have done and so far after one of them has jumped the fence he spends his time pacing back and forth to get back in. I can only speak for what mine do. I raised them from poults so I don't think they really want to go anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by