1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Splash Andalusian Boy or girl? *pics added*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by viktoriacl, Oct 8, 2013.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you post pictures of your Andalusians? I have a 8 month old who was sexed by MPC BUT this week he/she started "crowing!" It's a god awful loud noise. It really looks like a hen but now I'm really confused! Do any of your hens "crow?" She is a chatter, always has been but this is in the morning and is very different.Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Andal/BRKAndalusians.html is the Feathersite page for them. By eight months you should be seeing male feathers on an Andalusian boy, they usually are not shy about showing themselves. My girls have never crowed, they can be quite loud and really obnoxious if they want something. Can you post pictures of yours.

3. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks I'm at work. When I get home I will post a picture.

4. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    [​IMG]
    This is her in August.

5. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Pictures added to OP. Thanks!

6. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If she is eight months in those pictures, that is a girl. Are you sure about her age? Nicely marked splash.

7. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    She came in the mail in March as a day old chick so I guess it's 7 months.[​IMG] I can't add. So strange. No chance it's a boy? The two roos (one in the first pic) are only 8 WEEKS! They cant be crowing right? The Barred Rock started to lay (Also pictured). She clearly cant quite figure out where the right place is yet.

8. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hopefully somebody else will voice an opinion, but at seven months, that would be one really really slow maturing Andalusian rooster. I just went out and took pics of a black and blue that hatched August 6th, so they are just over 2 months, they have been crowing for awhile. They have more comb and wattle than yours does now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks for those pics! I agree she has nothing on those guys. Maybe it is my 8 week old roos crowing??? I am parking my little self out there tomorrow am and figuring this out. Thanks so much!

10. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

As I said before in the Andalusian thread I would say that she is a pullet. Hen noises can sound like crows sometimes. Hens will bawk in a loud and stretched voice when they are lost or laying an egg. Does she sound like any of those?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by