Blue Splash Crested Silkie/Cochin Cockerel

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by FarmrGirl, Dec 12, 2010.

1. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    [Shipping not available]

This cockerel was hatched naturally on August 26th and raised by a momma hen under my watchful eye. The birds are extremely healthy, cheerful, and active. They are $5.00 each.

If you're interested in any of the livestock you see here or on my website at www.2Mooses.weebly.com please contact me.

Cochins are an ancient breed, originating in the royal courts of China, and have a wonderful temperament. They have endearing personalities, are adorable, and have very hardy dispositions. They're really great chickens to have in your flock... just little balls of feathers asking for a cuddle.

Cochins have very roundish, ball-like bodies and big, fluffy behinds filled with soft feathers. Their legs aren't very long and they're wearing fluffy little feathered boots too which adds to their overall fluffy appearance and it almost looks like they don't have legs at all.

This little guy hatched from a lovely blue egg I put under my broody Buff Orp. He has the added cuteness of a little crested "hat" to go with his all over fluffy feathery-ness.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Just wanted to say, "Hello!!!" I live in MD and my husband works in DC! [​IMG] He takes the train in! [​IMG]

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Hello M@M@2four!

It's always nice to find folks in my area. I also work in DC and usually I take the train as well. Are you north or south of DC? I'm south near Waldorf. I have two other neighbors who are members of BYC also, maybe we can form our own meet-up group to talk chicken over chicken - LOL!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Your little guy is a silchin. A crest on the head usually means a cross with a Silkie but if you have other breeds like Polish it could be a cross of that. And hatched from a blue egg definitely means it is a cross of something else. Cochins don't have crests and they don't lay blue eggs.
    He's a cutie though!

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree! I have a little Silkie/Cochin cross hen that is identical to him both in color and style with the poofy head [​IMG]. I would love to get my hands on hm for myself! [​IMG]

6. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks, Ladies! Must be a silchin boy [​IMG] He's pretty cute with his little feathered feet and top hat. I'd love to keep him myself but I'm a bit overrun with little baby roo's so some of those boys have got to go!

7. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    NottinghamChicks

You're not too far from me... I imagine I could overnight him to you - he's a hardy little guy - but I'm not sure what that would cost.

8. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Looks like from your zip to mine USPS express mail is $15 but this month they won't guarantee overnight [​IMG]

9. Rainymae

Rainymae New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    HI ladies ! I am also in MD near DC. I am about 20 miles east of DC , small world !

10. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Hi Rainymae!

Welcome to BYC!!

I never knew so many folks in the National Capitol Region were chicken farmers! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by