Blue/Splash/Lavender Coloring Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by annieroo, Aug 31, 2010.

1. annieroo

annieroo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Culpeper
    I have a big mix of different variety of chickens...I guess you could say I couldn't make up my mind on a specific breed. I have found that my Cochins have become my favorites since they are such big sweet hearts, I have buff & 2 blue. My favorites are the Blue girls. I decided I wanted more Blues so ordered eggs on ebay this Spring/Summer. My hatch rates were not so great and then someone told me to buy a digital thermometer/Hygrometer which I did. Since then my hatch rates have improved and I now have 6 more chicks and more in the Bator. I have hatched out mostly splashes & blues.
    I was just wondering how you get the blue/splash/ lavender colors because I would like to eventually hatch my own eggs. I briefly remember seeing something about needing a black rooster. Anyhow, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    These are based on mating of 100 chicks. It is possible to have varying results when breeding smaller #'s when the law of average has yet to take effect.

The Blue gene is a dominant gene with variable penetration that dilutes black pigment, when present in either the homozygous Bl/Bl, or the heterozygous Bl/bl+ states. In the heterozygous state, Bl/bl+ dilutes black to a bluish/gray color, this blue color produces a variety of shades in the plumage, ranging from ‘pigeon egg blue’ to a dark ‘navy blue’, often with some blackish feathers scattered here and there, but has no effect on gold/red pigments. Homozygous Blue Bl/Bl creates an even greater dilution effect, producing a Splashed White (Splash) bird. This plumage is white with the odd blue feather; it is known in Europe as “dirty White” This is very different from both the Dominant White and the Recessive White, both of which have the effect of converting black to white.

Blue/Black/Splash
    Blue X Blue = 50% Blue . 25% Black , 25% Splash
    Blue X Splash = 50% Blue , 50% Splash
    Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
    Splash X Black = 100% Blue
    Black X Black = 100% Black
    Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

Lavender and Blue are two different things. Blue should not be confused with recessive Lavender, which dilutes both black and red, and is true breeding. Lavender dilutes black to a "pearl gray color" producing a very uniform plumage colour.

Lavender

Lavender (Self Blue) x Lavender (Self Blue) = 100% Lavender (Self Blue)
    Lavender (Self Blue) x Black = 100% Split (Visually Black, with Lavender gene hidden)
    Split x Split = 25% Lavender (Self Blue), 50% Split, 25% Black
    Lavender (Self Blue) x Split = 50% Lavender (Self Blue), 50% Split
    Split x Black = 50% Split, 50% Black

3. annieroo

annieroo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Culpeper
    Oki-dokey! Alicefelldown most defintely did not bump her head![​IMG]

Thanks so much for the information! Goodness, I'm thankful you broke things down the way you did. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by