1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Splash Marans Rooster and Blue Copper Marans Hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Shadow722, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Shadow722

Shadow722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    I have a flock of Blue Splash and had a big turnout of roosters this year and I have been selling them. I sold one to a couple who had Blue Copper and Black Copper hens and they wanted a Blue Splash rooster. He really wanted one of my hens but I didn't want to sell any hens. So I agreed to trade hens a blue splash for a blue copper.

Now I'm wondering what do you get for offspring from the Blue Splash and Blue copper combination. Anyone know or have pictures?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't see any copper on that hen?

The rules for black/blue/splash are still going to apply. I think the copper is dominant, so all birds with a parent who shows copper will have copper----but I'm not 100% on that.

Basically, breeding your splash to a blue will give you 50/50 blue and splash.

3. Shadow722

Shadow722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    She's not all blue, she does have some color mixed in the blue, but she won't let me get close and remain calm for me to take a picture, I just got her a day ago and she isn't used to me or her new flock. I couldn't catch her in the sunlight for a picture.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Copper color shouldn't be "mixed in" with the blue. It should be a collar pattern around her neck, of a very visible reddish color. I think she's just a poorer quality blue Marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by