Blue/Splash Orpingtons, Delawares and C.J....Just hatched (PICS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Jul 12, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'll explain the C.J. part in a minute. Seven Orpingtons survived their trip around Georgia and hatched yesterday, six blues and one splash. However, one was a little surprise package, LOL, just like my PoufyHead Sisters were a year and a half ago. Sometimes the best things are the ones you dont plan, I can tell you from experience. Anyway, here are most of the babies. The last blue Orp is still trying to get steady on its feet in the bator, so it isn't in the pics. The Dels are two days older than the rest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is little C.J. Not sure if you can really see it in this pic, but I have tried and tried and can't do it without my DH to hold the baby. Know what I'm talking about? This baby is now named C.J. It stands for Cracker Jack, as in, a surprise in every pkg, LOL. C.J. was in a brown egg marked BUFF. However, when he/she hatched, it obviously was blue, not buff, so I thought, okay it was a Blue Orp in a mismarked egg, right? Wrong! What else can you see about C.J. besides the color?
    [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Ummm... I'll play.... CJ has really dark legs to be an Orp?

Really cute chicks!!

3. speckledhen

Nope, Susan, not the legs...try again! Sorry, I know the pic is a bit grainy/blurry.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Does CJ have any tufts on him? I dunno... the pic is horrible [​IMG] no offense.

Adorable chicks [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I can't be real sure either (Cyn!!..grainy pic)!!!lol..looks like CJ might have a rose or pea comb and maybe a vault?...my guesses

6. speckledhen

BINGO! Ding, ding, ding, Tuff wins the prize! (yes, I know the pic is horrible). C.J. has a PEA COMB! C.J.'s mama is blue with a pea comb and her parentage is Blue Silkie over Black Frizzle Cochin! Sort of like my PoufyHead Sisters without the frizzle part. Christina sent me a pic of the mama, who is blue and whose eggs are brown and she thought she could tell the difference between the Orps and hers. So, I got the biggest chuckle yesterday when I saw that. I thought she'd sent me a Blue Ameraucana in a brown egg somehow. Another happy accident! C. J. is a beautiful shade of slate blue, so I cant wait to see how she feathers out. The dad is a Buff Orpington rooster with unusual taste in women, LOL! I think it's pretty cool. The unexpected things usually turn out the best!
    Just cross your fingers that my lone splash is a pullet, please!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  7. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm just an old hen that spends alot of time with chickens!!...Knew it would come in handy....lol

Will be nice seeing it grow out... I like surprises

9. speckledhen

I wouldnt take $1k for any of my PoufyHeaded girls. They're adorable dollbabies.

10. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by