Blue splash rose comb dutch bantam shank emergency!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RustysProvider, Feb 28, 2013.

1. RustysProvider

RustysProvider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I have a group I plan on breeding and one of my roosters foot/shank is deteriorating. The skin was black and now the color has spread. His skin is almost peeling off like a snake sheading skin. I just want to know if chickens can bring limbs or anything for that matter back to health.

2. RustysProvider

Aug 26, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Maybe it's frost bite. Can he recover completely from it?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think I would take him to a vet, or at least call one and ask his opinion. Maybe it is more than frostbite, like tissues getting gangrene

4. RustysProvider

Aug 26, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I planned on taking him I just wondered if it would be worth the hassle first. Like if he can't recover and isn't going to mate my hens due to his messed up leg I'd rather jus cull him and save the time and money as well as his quality of life.

5. RustysProvider

Aug 26, 2012
    NE Ohio
    It's turned out it was frost bite and if I would've caught it earlier we could have saved it. But his shank and foot are dead and black and stiff. His chances are slim. I think I'll keep him around if it starts to get worse i will cull him but if the weather breaks and he is looking better i may keep him. We'll see.

6. bwahk

bwahk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    I read a thread where hydrogen peroxide prevented gangrene, I know it does work as Ive used it on other injuries. Wish I could help more.

7. Eva2012

Eva2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Perris, CA
    I alo read that activated charcoal wraps help with gangrene.

8. RustysProvider

Aug 26, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Rip roadrunner/slick. Unfortunately it was frost bite and booth legs from the bend down would've fallen off. What a quick harsh winter we had.

9. RustysProvider

Aug 26, 2012
    NE Ohio
    [​IMG]
    This would be road runner in his short lived "prime" and my Mille D'uccle hen named rusty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by