1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blue spot on heads of our Dominickers??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mmtillman, Apr 27, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

When we first got out chicks from Cackle Hatchery...the 5 Doms that I ordered ( as pullets ) all had a blue spot on top of the head. We just thought it was some sort of ink applied to them as markers to tell them apart from other chicks....but now I am wondering if it wasnt a natural marking on them?? We keep trying to call Cackle Hatchery to ask them about it and the line is always busy or the # is out of order !
    So thought I might ask anyone else who ordered any Doms from them? Also one on my Americana chicks had an orange spot on its head. I did order one of them to be a roo...so we figured his head was marked as well?? Just wondered if someone can clear up my confusion about if they mark the heads of chicks with a mark for ID'ing purposes? Thanks!

2. Mike Fuson

Mike Fuson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    The hatchery that I have ordered from does mark the head if the breeds are similiar, for example comets and sil go links are basically the same so they marked their heads and the box telling us which was which. Every dominique or barred rock that I have ever seen was black with a yellow dot on their head.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I agree, they've been marked for easy identification.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by