Blue Spots on skin of processed EEs?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Ready27, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Ready27

Ready27 New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Recently I processed a few of my birds on my own and one was a few months old EE x Buff Brahma. I noticed as I was processing him that there were several small (1/4 inch in diameter) bluish green spots on his skin. They were in random places like one on the tip of the wing, a couple on the back, maybe one on the breast. I didn't think too much about it but got rid of the wing, put the legs and breast in the freezer, and used the rest for stock.
    Fast forward a little and yesterday I took 26 of my chickens to be processed. The 26 were mostly older hens but some were roos. About 4 of them were the same young EE x Buff Brahma, though hens. One was an EE hen. (Others in the mix were White Rock, Black Austolorp, Buff Brahma, Buff Orpington, and some Maran x White Rock roos) When I went to pick up my processed birds yesterday I noticed about 4 or 5 had the same kind of blue spots spaced randomly on the skin. There is no way to tell whether it is the EEs that have the spots but that is what I am assuming.
    Has anyone else ever had spots like this on a chicken's skin? Do you think they are still safe to eat?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by