1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Swede Ducks need new home..please... st louis area

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zyklonbetty, Oct 13, 2011.

1. zyklonbetty

zyklonbetty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    I have to get rid of my 2 amazing ducks. They are both BLUE SWEDE drakes and are attempting to mate my chickens which could seriously hurt/kill them.
    The two are an amazing pair. One was attacked my raccoons about 2 months ago and nearly died. He spent 2 days in the hospital. He had a broken wing, punctured sinuses and was very badly bitten. He has since fully recovered an I just waiting to lose the feathers that were messed up from his cast. He is 5 months old. The other was a rescue and is equally important to me, but I have no specifics on his age. They are both extremely friendly but are not imprinted so do not let you just reach and touch them. They happily eat out of your hand though.
    I love these ducks very much so would like to see them go to a good home which is why i am posting them here...
    They have a kiddie pool here and free-range with the chickens during the day. They as of now all sleep together as well.
    I know they would love other ducks as well as they are not at all aggressive. The younger one thinks he is a chicken which is why he may be trying to mate them as the older one has never tried but I will not split them up.

In case anyone doesnt know...i decided to add these specifics as there are some misconception about drakes being loud because they are boys.
    Males are MUCH QUIETER than females as males do not quack. Only females quack. Males have a quiet garble sound.
    The puffs on their heads are normal. They are referred to as "tufted" and it is not an injury or defect:)
    i can not ship them, so a local pickup would be required.
    i love them very very dearly and this is absolutely killing me to do this so i hope someone with a good heart/home can help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    OHHHH MAN!!!! i wish i lived in st louie!!! [​IMG]
    i need 2 drakes ASAP!! i have 4 hens that are just gourgous!!
    good luck looking for a home [​IMG]

3. zyklonbetty

zyklonbetty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    Thanks. Im hoping so. Scooter lost his sister in that attack, (well..she was a cayuga, but HE doesnt know it wasnt his sister!) and I got Indy as a replacement sibling because after he was allowed outside again he just wandered around crying and looking for her. it was devastating. They are quite the little boy-band buddy group now which is why Im only letting them go as a pair. he bonded well with the chickens in that time so often just follows them...naps where they nap, eats where they eat, etc. until pool time of course, or time to ruin my yard by making dirty muddy slurpy mud-hole booby-trap vitamin water drinks. lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    lol awww i can tell you love them.. id be so sad to get rid of mine..
    im still on the hunt for my perfict boys i have 4 girls that need men in their lives LOL
    YES i know about those muddy holes [​IMG]
    i lost one a few weeks ago also she was my best layer she always had double yolk eggs for me every morning [​IMG]

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Wow! All your ducks ended up being girls? Thats crazy! Good luck finding a home zyklonbetty!

6. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:Wow! All your ducks ended up being girls? Thats crazy! Good luck finding a home zyklonbetty!

thats what the lady at the coop said. [​IMG] she said wait you mean you need a girl or you have girls.. i said i have 5 girls i need a boy. she said i never heard such complant ive heard i have all boy and no girls but not the other way lol..
    it was just the luck of the dawl.
    anyways sorry..

7. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Your 2 boys live with your chickens? Is there anyway that maybe you could divide the run and put up a fence and give your boys their own space or maybe make them their own run? If you love them so much i would hate to see you have to give them away! If you have the space to do that or seperate the run there is always cheap dog houses on craigslist that you could sue for their house. Thats what i got for my duckies! Good luck!

8. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I ordered all sexed ducks starting out because I wanted to raise eggs... then picked out a few more "on clearance" from my local feed store. I picked out 4 based on markings alone because I thought it would be rude to vent sex them in the store for 2$ apiece... so I gave them a quick look out at the car... all girls!! LOL It's been 3 weeks and they seem to confirm that initial opinion with the high pitched frantic peeping.
    The absolutely only male I have is a rescue drake with a bum leg and he couldn't mount a hen if he wanted to! [​IMG] [​IMG] Maybe someday I'll get the fancy fella of my girl's dreams. [​IMG]

Those sweede boys are GORGEOUS and sound sweet. I'd take them in a heartbeat if I lived in Missouri [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by