Blue swede ducks

Guineaforus

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
I recently bought 3 ducklings and was curious if you could train them like my guineas when it was treat time by ringing a bell. when the guineas hear this bell they all run to the side of the pen and await their millet and mealworms. What do ducks prefer to like as a treat? Im hoping that my ducks and guineas get along once they are introduced to each other, but that will be a few months. Thanks for helping with any advice....my family think i have lost my mind getting these kinds of animals as i am middle aging.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. I would suggest posting this on our Duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks where you can take advantage of our duck experts. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your ducks.

You're safe here - no one thinks you are crazy and you can talk chickens, or ducks, or guineas etc all you want.

I find families (based on mine) think people are nuts because they explore another path.
Anything you do, that they never did, is taboo!! Just shrug it off'

I'm glad you joined us at BYC .
celebrate.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

All poultry can be trained to do things, especially when it comes to food! Food is a wonderful bonding agent and you can use food to get them to do all kinds of things. I have my quail clicker trained to go into their coop, and quail are not half as smart as ducks!

Good luck with your ducks and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Chickens and other birds can really be trained to do most things. The key is treats and time.

Glad you joined!

Back
Top Bottom