blue swedish broodiness?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stumble_n_mumble, Jun 19, 2010.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Alright well my blue Swedish is a year old and she has not laid an egg yet but since yesterday she hasn't gotten off my other ducks eggs. How well are they with broody is this a random thing. My Japanese and silkies take turns sharing eggs lol it is pretty hilarious [​IMG]

2. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    anyone have any knowledge on them?? [​IMG]

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have 3 , but they are only 13 weeks old. [​IMG] Sorry I am not much help at all. LOL

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I've had one go broody in three years and she quit halfway through

5. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    oh man i think i just wait till my silkie goes broody [​IMG] hahaa

6. Hi! Both of my Blue Swedish girls were broody earlier this year. Most of the eggs in both nests were fertile and started developing, but went rotten. I had to pen them up for a few days to make them 'leave the nests' --- even after I threw away all the eggs, they kept going back to set.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    My swedish mix started to lay at about 5 months old and she layed straight for about 3 months until I let her collect enough for a clutch. She sat on 15 eggs and only 1 got bad. She now has one duckling that we let her keep and it is 3 weeks old now and she is the best momma. We gave all of the other ducklings away at a week old.

8. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Two of my girls went broody last August and one of those girls just went broody again two weeks ago. One of the ducklings that hatched last July is sitting now also, she's about two weeks in as well [​IMG] I had another girl attempt to sit but gave up after 4 days. Recently she looked like she was going to be broody then she disappeared; i'm pretty sure the fox got her [​IMG] All in all, out of my five girls I only have one that has not attempted to sit. I [​IMG] my girls

Are you sure she's not laying? Could she be hiding her eggs somewhere? My ladies have made great mommas; I sure do hope you have good luck as well [​IMG]

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My current swede assortment is the result of their mother (a blue swede) going spectacularly broody, and doing a fantastic job. of my current 3 swedes, 2 have raised nests of duckings well (at 1 year old). Good luck!

10. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    She laid her first egg today!!!!! Woohhooo!!! She is about 13 months old yikes she took forever lol. Currently my silkies has gone broody along side the swed lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by