Blue Swedish mix? Yellow duckling with blue beak.

LillyAcresFarm

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
119
221
84
Pipestem, Wv
I hatched out some mixed breed ducks. One was a khaki/silver Appleyard mix and I thought the yellow one was a Pekin mix but now I’m not so sure since it’s beak has turned blue. Any guesses what this little one is mixed with.
 

Attachments

LillyAcresFarm

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
119
221
84
Pipestem, Wv
could it be a Blue Swedish/pekin
she Gave me some eggs from blue, black Swedish, Pekin, silver Appleyard, khaki Campbell And buff. She said some of them may have interbred. I have three pure silver Appleyards, a khaki/Appleyard mix and then this little one. So it could be Pekin/blue Swedish.
 

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
Aug 28, 2016
1,106
1,702
262
Memphis, TN
She had several blue Swedish so maybe I did get one silver Swedish. I’d be thrilled if that’s what it is.
It makes more sense to me than Pekin x blue Swedish cross because the allele that causes white in Perkins is recessive and is not usually carried by Blue Swedish. It is also not what causes silver Swedish to be white. I think the silver Swedish are beautiful, I’m not sure why people don’t sell them. I found one picture of a silver Swedish duckling. Here is the link:
https://www.123rf.com/photo_69744007_silver-swedish-duck-duckling-drinking-from-water-feeder.html
 

LillyAcresFarm

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
119
221
84
Pipestem, Wv
It makes more sense to me than Pekin x blue Swedish cross because the allele that causes white in Perkins is recessive and is not usually carried by Blue Swedish. It is also not what causes silver Swedish to be white. I think the silver Swedish are beautiful, I’m not sure why people don’t sell them. I found one picture of a silver Swedish duckling. Here is the link:
https://www.123rf.com/photo_69744007_silver-swedish-duck-duckling-drinking-from-water-feeder.html
they are beautiful. I’m tempted to contact her and get her to send me some more of her blue Swedish eggs and hope to get a silver from them.
 

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
Aug 28, 2016
1,106
1,702
262
Memphis, TN
they are beautiful. I’m tempted to contact her and get her to send me some more of her blue Swedish eggs and hope to get a silver from them.
There is a 25% chance of a Silver, 50% chance of a Blue, and a 25% chance of a Black Swedish when you cross two Blue Swedish. So, if you like to gamble . . . .
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom