Blue Swedish not laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by craftymama86, Jan 23, 2012.

1. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

We bought a few chickens a few months ago and a duck was included, the previous owner wanted her to stay with the chickens since they've all been together. Well, since we've had them our Isabella hasn't laid ANY eggs. They're still in a temporary pen with only some nest boxes about 2-3 feet off the ground. Do I need to make her her own little nest box closer to the ground? I don't know why she isn't laying. Any ideas?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. Are you sure she is really a she?
    2. How old is she?

3. craftymama86

I honestly don't know the difference in the male and females in this breed but the man we bought her from said she lays large eggs.

I don't know how old she is. :(

4. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    She may be hiding the eggs somewhere else in your yard. Do they get to free-range at all?

Ducks won't be able to get up to those high nest boxes so she'd seek out somewhere she feels safe at ground level. They could be quite hidden. Of she may just not have started laying yet for you. I have an older Swedish duck that did not start laying this season till early summer.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
  6. craftymama86

No they don't free-range, not right now anyways. We are hoping to get a gate for our driveway and will probably let our chickens, and duck, free range then. Right now we have canine "visitors" that would love a fresh meal...

For her to be comfortable, do I need to put something out there for her to just walk into or should it be slightly off the ground?

(I'm going to check the forum for duck housing pictures)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by