1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Swedish pairs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kimmer815, Mar 17, 2015.

1. kimmer815

kimmer815 New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    I have someone who bought a nice breeding pair of Blue Swedish and one additional black Swedish hen from me. At least I thought it was a hen because I thought I saw it being bred and they were molting so didn't have a curl. However I'm told by the new owner that the black "hen" is trying to breed the Blue hen. I know the breeding pair are male and female because they started the group of Swedish I now have.

Their question is whether to bring the black Swedish back and trade with another Blue Swedish I have that I no for sure is a hen or add another hen for the Black Swedish. My instinct is to switch the two so there would be one drake/2 hens but maybe 2 drakes, each with their own hen would be ok with the Swedish. any thoughts? They are in about a 1/8 acre of space.

2. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    I personally would prefer 1 drake with 3 hens for sure. Another question and I know might seem funny to some, but how well did she see the black hen trying to breed the blue hen. A couple girls can sure put on a show if she was at a distance and didn't see "everything".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by