Blue Swedish, White Pekin or Mallard?

Happy Camper

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Puerto Rico
I am about to get some ducks to add to my little farm. I live in the Caribbean and I am most interested in bug control and meat production rather than egg production for these ducks. I don't want to have to clip wings if possible... I have no previous experience w/ ducks, but am committed to give them great care as w/ the rest of my farm animals. What do you recommend?
idunno.gif

If you don't want want to clip wings then that knocks out Mallards. Plus they aren't the best for meat.

Blue Swedish or Pekins would be fine for your situation. Pekins should give you more meat though.

What about Muscovy ducks? They are the best imo for bug control and they grow bigger than all other ducks, they are also said to have less fatty meat than the others. They do tend to fly though.

Thanks a lot! The person I get animals from only has those three breeds. I think I will go w/ Pekins this time... know I have all the other questions about sexing them and appropriate time for letting them swim... I am reading and learning like crazy before I get them.

They are only 5 days old today... Thanks for your help.
frow.gif

The Pekin are so sweet, interactive and pet-like, I couldn't bring myself to eat one. If you plan to kill them, pick ones you don't like!

These are two of four Pekins I got. They are crazy cute, but they are very scared of me... is that normal? I thought they'd get used to me by now... I talk to them and feed them in my hand.

Also... they don't seem to need their light. They still have it but I have never seen them under the light or too close. They are in a brooder in my chicken coop and its around 85 to 90 degrees outside.

NOOOO I don't plan to eat them since I got them for eggs and bug control. However, I could eat them under the right circumstances... I have overcome cuteness dealing w/ rabbits. I don't consume them because they are ugly, but because they provide food for my family and pretty darn good.

Thanks a lot everyone!!!

With your outside temperatures, the ducklings probably won't need heat while they are awake. You should find them closer to the heat while they are asleep.

All ducklings are timid. You can go and rest your hand in the brooder with some food on your palm and don't move and don't try to pick them up. They should learn to sit on your hand. Then they go through a really skittish phase while they are growing. As they mature, they will settle down. They will never like to be carried, but they will get so they come out to greet you and follow you around.

Back
Top Bottom