Blue Swedish???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by learycow, Jun 22, 2011.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I bought some blue swedish ducklings months ago. Now they are all grown up and fully feathered. however, I have 2 different colors.
    From the pics of other blue swedish ducks I've seen, blues are the darker ones (like the one on the far left that's crested). If so then what are these other two? The ones in question are the two on the far right (one is crested the other isn't).

[​IMG]

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    silver maybe? I havent actually seen a pic of silver so im not sure [​IMG]

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They all look blue to me. The dark one is exceptionally dark.

If the lighter ones are pinto, then they are splash, but I'm not seeing any spots in the photo and they are dark for splash.

4. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:2x... the dark one is pretty dark.

5. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    This my Blue Swede.
    [​IMG]

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I would say the two on the right are silver the standard calls for a darker slate color. All mine were nice dark slate with some faint lacing. My silvers were always baby blue-ish in color.

7. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Quote:2x... the dark one is pretty dark.

I was thinking the same thing...

They are all beautiful and looking good by the way [​IMG] ...what sort of duck is that khaki colored one in the back(I ask because I have one that is completely identical)

8. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    The one on the left is blue. The two on the right are silver (also known as splash). That's what im putting my money on anyhow [​IMG] Silver can vary from almost white to pale blue. True blues will have a black feather here or there - very rare to have a blue bird without the odd black feather.

Your blue is a really nice rich colour and also looks to have minimal black feathering which is great. The blue bird and the silver one standing side on are both a bit shallow in the body (ideally should be thicker or deeper if you measure from the back to the underside). Possibly a little long in the body too. Can't tell about the other silver.

I don't know if the American standard allows a crested version but the Australian and UK ones don't. They look really cute though!

Looks like you've got a beautiful Cayuga collection too!

They all look very well cared for and in nice condition.

9. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Duckchick: the one in the back is and American Buff. They are very pretty birds! I only have a few of them though, just to add a different color to my flock : )

Thanks everyone for the replies, you all really helped! It's so neat how you can have one breed with so many different color variations. I have always had khaki campbells and welsh harlequins, so I'm new to the color genes!

10. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Quote:Rosebud, is this a male or female?

I just ordered 2 females and I am wondering how much color they are going to have when the grow up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by